Adding extracts and a colloidial oatmeal paste?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serfmunke

Reaction score
A friend of mine is challenging me to make a baby rash soap similar to a recipe she has currently tried. Our questions are the following:

1) Adding calendula extract, is that handled as an additive? Same rules apply?
2) What is a colloidial oatmeal paste? Ground oatmeal with liquid? Add it as an additive too?
3) What are some herbs/ingredients known for soothing? We may add them too or infuse the OO with them.
4) What liquid can we use in place of water to create a more soothing soap? Milk?

Thanks for all and any help here :)

I can only tell you what I did for soap for my daughter who has suffered with eczema since infancy and for my hubby who get a tiny blisters rash on his hands and it's worked well for them.

I infuse olive oil with dried calendula and chamomile flowers and use that as half of my usual olive oil in my soap. Both of these help with irritation, redness, swelling, itching and are soothing and healing for the skin.

I bought organic whole oatmeal from a local grower and grind up 4tbls, for 2-3 lbs of soap in my coffee grinder until it's a fine powder and add it to the oils so I can stir it in well before the lye-water hits it. You can play with this amounts but be careful or you will end up with cake.

I haven't added it to soaps yet but I want to try adding aloe to it as well in the future.

I pop it in the freezer/fridge for 24 hours then set it out to finish up and it usually passes the zap test by day 2-3.

Doing the above had greatly helped them out. If I add in an oatmeal bath using the same organic oatmeal wrapped in cheesecloth and hung under the tub faucet for kiddo with aloe vera gel and oatmeal lotion (I currently use Aveno for this) applied after the bath I can watch a break out of eczema vanish in 3-4 days. If she doesn't tell me its acting up then a really bad break out will take 1 week to clear up with oatmeal baths required every other day. HTH!

Oh and I should mention my daughter is 14 in case I didn't state that and I didn't start looking for a way to help her until it just happened when we switched to using soaps I'd made instead of store bought. We'd used my soap made with the Calendula and Chamomile infused olive oil. That's when I started in to make an oatmeal soap.

You might try goats milk or aloe gel in place of water. I use colloidal oatmeal all the time in soap. I add it at trace or sometimes straight into the oils. I would suggest making a castile soap because they are so mild and gentle.

For my grands I use a soap that is mostly olive and palm, but I also use 10% avocado and like the qualities it adds. I don't feel like I can grind oatmeal as fine as I like for their soap, so I buy the equate brand of colloidal oatmeal, a bath treatment, from Walmart in the bath section. I infuse the oil with calendula like Laura mentioned.

I found that lard soap really works well. I used to make it for the UPS lady for her granddaughter before she was transfered. I used avocado oil in it too.

We think we have the recipe we want, just not sure if I should use caldenula extract or oil, what has better soothing properties and which one is better used in CP soap?

calendula oil tends to be simply calendula infused in soybean oil.
check the ingredients list.

i'm really not sure what calendula extract IS.

I infuse my own - usually in olive oil because it's so soothing to skin, and sometimes in coconut because it's so darned stable.

Extract can mean that it contains alcohol which you should avoid with CP.

Why you avoid alcohol? :? A'm adding it to my soap, it normally gone after all cooking done.
Different extract can be dry or in alcohol, oil or water to.
You can infuse your oven calendula, chamomile, plantain or what ever oil in olive, jojoba, apricot or another liquid and stable oil. It's normally take 2-3 weeks. Later you can use them as a normal oil for cooking your soap. My friend infuse even peaches. I'm done yarrow, chamomile, calendyla, comfey, wild roses... Blueberrys didn't work for me :roll: . If you want you can use flowers and leaves in the same soap. They will give you nice texture and fun look. :wink:
I didn't like some store but infuses, they done with hot soy oil. Regular soy oil is GMO :evil: .

The extract is very expensive to put in CP soap. Plus one never knows what the lye monster will eat up & I'd b thinking all the goodness in the calendula extract :(
What about a HP & add the extract AFTER the cook in the hope to save all the goodness.

I have a family member with wicked eczema. In reading this thread, I'm thinking a good recipe for a soothing soap might feature lard and oatmeal. What else might work well?

Thanks a bunch!

I ended up ordering NDA calendula herbal oil, infused in EVOO, just checked.

I just read up on this thread. I will proceed with our original recipe which is high in EVOO with castor, babassu, and cocoa butter. BUT I have been wanted to try HP and will consider this soap when I get brave enough to try a new method :wink:

As far as using lard, I have only made one lard soap and I love it but I am not sure how it would be for the hubby and his eczema. Someone else will have to comment on that.

If you infuse calendula in Olive oil they will react with lye the last and you will have all beauty from them. First will be coconut, palm, shortening, soy and lard. :roll:

Alaska beauty said:
If you infuse calendula in Olive oil they will react with lye the last and you will have all beauty from them. First will be coconut, palm, shortening, soy and lard. :roll:
Lye does not discriminate. There is no true way to know that the infused oil will end up being saponified last or end up as your superfat.

Latest posts

Back