Adding extra lye because citric acid cp soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nastiaam

Reaction score
Do I need to add extra lye to my recipe if I add citric acid to the water solution?

I know citric acid neutralizes lye?

Yes, that is correct; 10g citric acid will neutralize 6.24g NaOH.

To get the amount of extra NaOH needed, multiply the weight (in grams) of your citric acid X 6.24, and divide by 10.

Or you can use the SoapmakingFriend calculator, and check "Liquid Discount" when adding the citric acid, and it will calculate the extra lye for you.

Sorry I have one more question? Do you suggest on the soap making forum calc to also discount water for adding clay (kaolin clay)? Or just citric acid
I'm sorry, but I am not sure what you are asking. You don't need to discount water when adding citric acid. You can use some of your batch water to hydrate the clay or dissolve the citric acid and then either add it back to the water for the lye solution, or blend it into the oils before adding your lye solution. I tend to add it to the oils. You only need to be sure you have enough water to dissolve the lye properly, which is - by weight - equal amounts of water and lye. You can leave the lye concentration setting at 33%.

I'm sorry, but I am not sure what you are asking. You don't need to discount water when adding citric acid. You can use some of your batch water to hydrate the clay or dissolve the citric acid and then either add it back to the water for the lye solution, or blend it into the oils before adding your lye solution. I tend to add it to the oils. You only need to be sure you have enough water to dissolve the lye properly, which is - by weight - equal amounts of water and lye. You can leave the lye concentration setting at 33%.
Sorry @AliOop said to check the liquid discount when using the soap calc so I was just wondering do I need to check it for the clay as well. Let me provide a screenshot @dibbles

Attachments

• 9FFE69DD-13F4-4277-BABB-9F8DBAC2747A.png
    9FFE69DD-13F4-4277-BABB-9F8DBAC2747A.png
    438.7 KB · Views: 0
Q
I don't use that calculator, so I'm not familiar with the way it works. @AliOop or someone else can hopefully help you with that.
the water discount is confusing me on the app as well, can I send you my recipe? I am so confused if I keep my lye the same or add more or add more water etc.?

Sorry @AliOop said to check the liquid discount when using the soap calc so I was just wondering do I need to check it for the clay as well. Let me provide a screenshot @dibbles
You don't need to check it for the clay - only for citric acid or things that will use up some of the lye.

I used to use citric acid and I just use sodium citrate now…it does the same thing without the extra steps. I found I was more annoyed using extra lye than I was spending a little more on sodium citrate.

Back