Adding EOs to dry shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGM

Reaction score
I've been using a dry shampoo I made out of cornstarch, cocoa powder, and cinnamon (I'm a redhead, so don't want white powder everywhere). While I don't mind drinking Mexican hot chocolate, I don't love smelling like it....do you think I could add some EOs to the powder to freshen it up? I'm thinking peppermint (peppermint patty!) or rosemary or pine or even TTO or something.
I'm assuming it wouldn't affect either its effectiveness nor perishability...I'm basing that assumption on the ingredients being similar to this face powder that I've also been using for months and months.
What do others think? Safe to add some EOs? I guess if I ruin the batch, I'm only out 25 cents worth of materials, realistically....

I have never used a dry shampoo nor pine EO however; I have no idea how well the shampoo would work on my hair since I'd have to straighten my hair first. Rosemary would be a better idea than peppermint, IMO though a blend of the two would smell nice. Tea tree oil still makes me a little nauseous so I am not supporting that unless in a good blend. Luckily, it can work with all of the EOs you mentioned. :)

I have never used a dry shampoo nor pine EO however; I have no idea how well the shampoo would work on my hair since I'd have to straighten my hair first. Rosemary would be a better idea than peppermint, IMO though a blend of the two would smell nice. Tea tree oil still makes me a little nauseous so I am not supporting that unless in a good blend. Luckily, it can work with all of the EOs you mentioned. :)
Thanks! I do wonder how the rosemary would go with chocolate and cinnamon though, as they definitely leave a scent.
How come you'd have to straighten your hair first?

Afro-coily hair with multiple textures to boot. I would normally not need to use a dry shampoo as I can go up to two weeks (in a pinch) without washing my hair. If I straightened it out, I'd probably use a dry shampoo to refresh my hair while sustaining my style.

In any case, if the chocolate and cinnamon leaves a definite scent, peppermint may clash the least (if you're not opposed to chocolate and mint). You can still use rosemary if you'd like but ultimately, I'd play around with the ratios to figure out which of the EOs is least offensive to you.

Afro-coily hair with multiple textures to boot. I would normally not need to use a dry shampoo as I can go up to two weeks (in a pinch) without washing my hair. If I straightened it out, I'd probably use a dry shampoo to refresh my hair while sustaining my style.
Ah gotcha. Yeah, you could probably use the dry shampoo (just shake it out), but if you don't need to, why bother?
I might make some tiny samples and report back. The amount used is SO SMALL that it'll be tough to find containers small enough to mix it all up!

Yep, pretty much the story of my life. I chimed in mainly because I've used three of the 4 EOs you asked about. They are great smelling and can stimulate growth, so the lore says.

Back