Adding EO to oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadgroovy

Reaction score
Is there a reason why EO is recommended to be added at trace? Would it make any difference if I added with the oils before adding lye?
Just thinking it's one thing less to think about when getting the batter to trace.

I usually add my FO or EO to my oils before blending in the lye. Everyone does it differently, I would just say if you're using something known to accelerate you may want to wait and blend in the fragrance just before you pour for maximum working time.

Hiya Deadgroovy,
Adding EO/FO at trace is a preference... generally appears in HP or rebatch recipes. I think most of us add it (as well as other additives) to the warmed oils before adding the lye solution. And you're correct in your thinking... there's less chance of forgetting to add it as so often happens when I wait until the batch has traced! LOL Another advantage is that the fragrance is fully mixed in that way and is less likely to "seep" out during saponification.

Thanks everyone, thinking logically, I didn't think it would make much difference. I'll mix with the oils next batch.
It's just that sometimes I'm blending away and before I know it I'm at trace and I think "s**t!! I haven't added the EO" and I end up more or less trowelling the batter into the mold :hairpulling:

LOL Another advantage is that the fragrance is fully mixed in that way and is less likely to "seep" out during saponification.

Sorry for the very quick hijack, but Zany, I think this just happened to my batch. I added 3 EOs to my colored and uncolored batter & probably stirred too briefly. My first oil slick!! Will it reabsorb after a while?

...probably stirred too briefly. My first oil slick!! Will it reabsorb after a while?
Yeah, it's generally recommended to stir for 1 full minute to get the fragrance fully incorporated when added at trace. Of course, that isn't always possible with finicky FOs in particular. TIP: Add the fragrance to an ounce or so of carrier oil (warmed) before adding at trace. Makes for a smoother pour in HP too. Or so I've heard. I don't have a lot of experience with HP.

Will it reabsorb? Wait & see! Hope & pray! :D

It's almost all absorbed this morning. It was added much past trace. It was added in half a panic to lumpy HP batter that I was anxious to get in the moulds. ;) I did not have my best soaping experience, yesterday! !

I've always added at trace, after splitting my batter for colors. It makes more sense to me - there are some FOs that will accelerate, and if there's a discoloring FO I might not want to color white I'm planning to swirl in, and that's when those would need to be added. Rather than keep track of what FOs need to be put in at a different point, I just put all my FOs in at the point the most finicky would need to be added. Keeps my process streamlined.

I don't use F.O.'s, but E.O's, I know E.O.'s are affected by heat and can and will evaporate off if you add them to heat.

I had the same problem when I added the E.O it was heated and I didn’t get the strong smell it fade-away quickly.

Back