Adding EO to a HP shave soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemsupthepoley

Reaction score
Hi folks. I reported a little issues with the Songbird soap that I made (being a little drying).

I gave some to a fellow wet shaver and (after it's cured for a couple of months) he is reporting back that it's just like a 'real' shave soap!!!

But, it's unscented.

So, can I re-heat in a water bath/microwave?? and add Bay Rum EO.
I only have 2 small shave pot sized tubs and don't want to loose it experimenting.

thanks in advance.

I would keep it and use it in another batch - while I am not naturally wasteful, I often make a new batch even though the old one is unfinished, as I want to try new combinations. I make small batches anyway (50g) so it's not too bad.

What most people have with the songwind recipe is a very good starting point that they then tweak and play with. So I would not worry about scenting this first batch, rather get feedback on it and then make the next version scented

I don't see why not. You'll just be rebatching it. I don't know about the microwave (I've never used it for soap myself, so I have no advice to offer there), but I see nothing wrong with grating it up and heating it up in a double boiler or in a small covered pot in the oven. Or if you are able to find some heat-proof boil-in-the-baggies, you could put your soap gratings in there and toss it into the boiling water to melt the gratings down. Just add the FO when all is melty, and then mold it. Anyway, any of those is what I would do if it were me.

IrishLass :)

EO to shave soap

I make large batches unscented, microwave 6-9 oz at a time (just to soften them up) then add fragrance. I use 10 seconds increments or the soap will spill out of the bowl. I have even added lanolin, extracts... with this method - just monitor time and temp so the EO doesn't evaporate.

Last edited:
Thanks folks. All the suggestions are appreciated and make sense. I should follow TEG's advice but I just kinda know it'll end up in the microwave tomorrow.:oops:

Same result really, nothing to lose!!!!

I'll keep you all updated.

Lol! It's also an experiment to learn from

Well it's done!

The microwave (on full power anyway) needs watched about every 3 seconds. I'll say that again (from experience:oops:) EVERY 3 SECONDS.

The soap foams up, gets mashed with a teaspoon, another 3 seconds and so on.

A few drops o' EO and mixed up and it's done.

This will be going to my non-sensitive faced shave buddy as I'm sure I'll get a reaction.

I have tried the basic soap again myself the other week and it definately benefits from aging/curing. Thanks again for the help. More help needed soon/in future8)

Latest posts

Back