Adding cream to CP soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AutumnBreezeSoaps

Reaction score
Sorry, I know I've asked a lot through the night but just a quick last question until I hit the hay. IF I'm adding cream to CP soap do I count that as water and mix it into the lye and use that much less water? And what qualities does the cream have when using it? I have seen a few use it in every batch they make so wondering if it has some great qualities for soaps?

Yes, you count it as part of your liquid needed. I try not to mix any dairy product with lye as it can get too hot and scorch. What I do it use half water/half cream (or milk), dissolve the lye in the water then add the cream after the lye and oils have been mixed.
Dairy can cause overheating so these soaps really do best if you prevent gel. Putting your mold in the fridge or freezer is the easiest way to do that.
I personally don't notice any difference with milk soaps but many people say its adds a rich creaminess to the lather. I like coconut milk myself, it adds more to the soap imo.

Def count it as part of your water. For example, if your recipe calls for 50 gr lye and 100 gr water, you mix the lye with 55 gr water (minimum is 50 gr, i add a bit just to be on the safe side) and the rest (45 gr) is cream. You can add the cream on trace or with your oils before the lye.

I've not personally mixed lye with cream. I just did a partial swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

do you not have to account for the fats of the cream? (Or is that why it makes a creamier bar of soap, because it is essentially causing a lye discount)

You can also use it as a milk fat (oil) in your calculation. There is "milk fat" entry in the oil section of your lye calculator. That's where I put mine so I can add more milk and it's easier than freezing milk and all that jazz. Also, I make sure everything is at room temperature-milk, lye, water. Heat your hard oils just enough to melt the oil. You don't want the milk to curdle or turn brown. Makes a nice creamy bar of soap.

I use buttermilk and I like the results. The bar does turn a nice beige.

This thread is 5 years old, and AutumnBreeze is no longer an active member.

If you would like to talk with current members about using cream and other dairy in soap, please start a new thread, @newlee, and share what you think!

This thread is 5 years old, and AutumnBreeze is no longer an active member.

If you would like to talk with current members about using cream and other dairy in soap, please start a new thread, @newlee, and share what you think!
Sorry, I forgot to look at the date.

I make that mistake too from time to time. Not to worry.

Back