Adding Coconut Milk to Cold Process Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberly6891

Reaction score
Hello - I've went through some of the posts and wasn't able to find an answer to this question. I think if I spend more time searching it out, I may, but I wanted to make this soap today and I'm in a 'crunch'.

I wanted to start adding coconut milk to my soaps, but can't seem to find HOW. I mean, do I take away part of the water to adjust for the coconut milk/liquid? I just dont know how to incorporate the milk in my recipe - I dont see any recipe calculator that includes a 'milk' as part of an ingredient. I have, what I feel is a perfect recipe and dont want to just pour the milk in without first knowing how it would affect my recipe.

Any advise would be so appreciated.

Search "split method" or "milk soaps" and a ton of threads should come up for you to search on. Everybody does milk soaps a little differently, so reading on the different methods will help you decide which method to do.

I use milk in almost all my soaps. I mix my lye with an equal amount of water that is required for the batch. I then add the difference in milk and blend that into my oils. So, if your recipe calls for 6.5 ounce of water and 3 oz of lye you would mix your lye with 3 oz of water and add the difference 3.5 oz in milk to your oils. Mix well and then add your cooled lye mixture. You'll want to check it for overheating periodically other wise just let it do it's thing. Or some put it in the fridge or freezer (I've never done it). I just cover it and let it gel.

You have to do the math yourself to know what part of the coconut milk is fat and what is water. There are too many "coconut milk" products out there for it to be a standard item in a calc. You have to look at the nutrition labels, do a little math, and adjust the rest of your ingredients accordingly. Here's a longer explanation -- Soapy Stuff: Nutrition labels

Last edited:
Hello, everyone.

I am new to soap making, but I have used coconut milk in all of my CPOP batches, thus far. I have also been looking for a good way to incorporate milk without having to freeze the milk ahead of time. I have been adding the milk into SoapCalc as a percentage. Since my coconut milk is room temp, I add it to my oils, and mix, just before adding my lye solution. I have not had any issues (4 batches). My second batch should be finished curing within the week.

Thoughts on this?

I think I will try shunt2011's technique next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1864.jpg
    IMG_1864.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 56
I use milk in almost all my soaps. I mix my lye with an equal amount of water that is required for the batch. I then add the difference in milk and blend that into my oils. So, if your recipe calls for 6.5 ounce of water and 3 oz of lye you would mix your lye with 3 oz of water and add the difference 3.5 oz in milk to your oils. Mix well and then add your cooled lye mixture. You'll want to check it for overheating periodically other wise just let it do it's thing. Or some put it in the fridge or freezer (I've never done it). I just cover it and let it gel.
I have made 3 batches of ZNSC using this method. Works great. I’ve used goat milk & coconut milk.

I have made 3 batches of ZNSC using this method. Works great. I’ve used goat milk & coconut milk.
What is ZNSC?

You have to do the math yourself to know what part of the coconut milk is fat and what is water. There are too many "coconut milk" products out there for it to be a standard item in a calc. You have to look at the nutrition labels, do a little math, and adjust the rest of your ingredients accordingly. Here's a longer explanation -- Soapy Stuff: Nutrition labels
Thank you for the link!!!!!

I’ve used both Goat and Coconut Milks. 100% water replacement. Both milks were frozen. I have some powdered GMS, but haven’t tried it yet. And I don’t worry about the ‘fat’ content of either, but that’s just me.

You can also just skip the liquid form of coconut milk, and use dehydrated coconut milk. I mix directly into the oils before adding lye solution. Then you don't have to worry about water calculations.
Is the issue of scorching still at play here? Will the batter still get brown?

Is the issue of scorching still at play here? Will the batter still get brown?
I don't get any scorching or browning when using milk powders. I also mix mine directly into the oils before adding the lye solution. Do make sure the milk powders are mixed in very thoroughly to avoid white streaks in the soap.

My apologies for not being clearer. What I mean is that I don’t calculate/account for the fat in my milks.
I understood regarding the calculations; I think MY question was not clear. You mentioned you replace ALL the water in your lye-water solution with frozen milk. When you create that solution, does it not saponify?

I understood regarding the calculations; I think MY question was not clear. You mentioned you replace ALL the water in your lye-water solution with frozen milk. When you create that solution, does it not saponify?

Yes and no. The Sodium Hydroxide does start to bind (aka saponify) with the fats in the milk in the same way that it starts to bind when you add your Lye Solution to your melted oils/butters, but it's not instant soap...it's more of a pancake batter consistency. Now some folks will run their milk-based Lye Solution through a mesh strainer and use a rubber/silicone spatula or spoon to force it through and break up the small bits...I never bothered to dirty another dish since I was going to be stick blending. Personal preference.

Yes and no. The Sodium Hydroxide does start to bind (aka saponify) with the fats in the milk in the same way that it starts to bind when you add your Lye Solution to your melted oils/butters, but it's not instant soap...it's more of a pancake batter consistency. Now some folks will run their milk-based Lye Solution through a mesh strainer and use a rubber/silicone spatula or spoon to force it through and break up the small bits...I never bothered to dirty another dish since I was going to be stick blending. Personal preference.
OH! Now I get it! Thank you!

Do you use your lye-milk solution right away? Or do you make it in advance? I like to make my lye-water solutions in advance, more for the easier clean-up; the cooling time is really just an extra bonus for me.

Latest posts

Back