Adding clay to lye water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ursula

Reaction score
Hello!

I've read about adding clay to the lye water to intensify the color.

I was wondering though, would the clay absorb some of the lye, and then in turn make the clay itself lye-heavy?

I'm not sure about the chemistry regarding this and am hoping someone here may know (so I don't make a possibly terrible mistake). ;)

Thanks!

Ursula

Thanks for this info! I'm getting ready to use clay for the first time today and had some questions. Perfect timing!

However, I am still puzzled by some sources claiming that the clay is acting as a deodorant and will make your scents disappear, while other sources name clay as a scent fixative. I personally never noticed scents fading in my clay soaps, but still I would like to know what is the Truth ;)

"...the clay is acting as a deodorant and will make your scents disappear, while other sources name clay as a scent fixative..."

Well, actually these functions are two sides of the same coin. If you want a scent to last longer in a soap, then you have to make it so the scent cannot evaporate as fast right at first. If the scent can't evaporate fast, it won't smell as strong.

Clay has the property of adsorbing chemicals from a liquid phase (in bar soap, this would be the water within the soap structure), then releasing them slowly back into the liquid as the concentration of the chemicals drops in the liquid over time. This explains why clay can "deodorize" by binding the scent molecules within its structure and thus making the scent fainter ... but why it can "fix" scent so it lasts longer.

The amount of clay added, the overall soap formulation, and the scent itself will affect the ability of clay to "fix" scent. A highly volatile scent won't last as long, all other things being equal, than a less volatile scent.

Latest posts

Back