Adding clay for color CP and HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayJay

Reaction score
Hi again!

Quick question- when is the best time to add clay for color in both cold process as well as hot process.

Is it okay to add it to the oil before mixing? If I add it at trace, can I cook it with the clay mixed in? If so, how does it affect the final product? Or is it best to add it to HP at mashed potato phase?

Hi JayJay!
I mix my clay with a little oil using a mini stick blender to avoid having clumps and I add it at trace. I don't do HP so I don't know what happens if you cook it but I wouldn't think it will affect it in anyway.
I think I have read of people adding it to the oils before mixing but I haven't tried that yet.
Hopefully, someone who has experimented more can enlighten us!

I add my clays at thin trace for CP soap. The only problem I can see with adding clay after the cook in HP is that the soap is so thick, that the clay might not get mixed in thoroughly to produce an even color throughout.

I don't have a mini stick blender yet. I wonder if I would be able to blend it well at light trace with a normal SB.

I was thinking about HP because I am scenting this batch with EO and I haven't had much luck having my EO scents survive CP (other than lemongrass). I was hoping to HP The batch and then add the EO after it has cooled a bit.

Clays mix really well right into the lye water. For CP I mix them into my fragrance oil... Seems to make the scents stick well in addition to being an easy way to add color without clumps.

Latest posts

Back