Added too little lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vidula

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I had written down my recipe for 700 grams of oil, but decided to change it to 800 gms. I calculated the amount of oils from the percentages and wrote them down, but I forgot to recalculate the lye amount, So around 14gm lye and 40gm water was less. I realised this halfway during the HP cook, so I mixed some more lye and water, added it to the soap which was cooking, and stirred it really well with the spoon. Of course there was no chance of it reaching trace,.. Any idea if this would be safe to use when ready? Would the added lye have mixed well with the mixture that was cooking? I'm still waitng as it is cooking, to see how this turns out.

Was a relief to read your message. I just unmoulded and cut it. It seems perfect! Thanks!

Was a relief to read your message. I just unmoulded and cut it. It seems perfect! Thanks!
I don't really worry about left over lye until my soap is at least 4 weeks old and ready for its first test. 4 weeks is really a bare minimum cure time and as long as you don't have any immediate problems ie; when pouring, unmolding, cutting etc the 4 weeks will give the sopanification process enough time to work. If it doesn't then you can rebatch the soap. Patience is an incredibly important thing in soap making. I had a very hard time waiting at first but as you make more soap, you will have a continuous supply of of soap being ready.

Latest posts

Back