ACV as liquid for lye solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiti Williams

Crazy Crafter and Neighborhood Nut!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, brain storm in progress. My shampoo bars are soap, not Signet. What would happen if I subbed ACV for water in my lye solution? I am going to try this in a small batch (2 bars) to see if the ph is nearer to hair than skin. Thoughts anyone?

Lots of people use vinegar as a partial or full substitute for water -- we've talked about this many a time on this forum.

First thing -- don't expect vinegar to lower the pH despite all the stories to the contrary. Adding an acid like vinegar (acetic acid) will only increase the superfat instead if you don't add the extra alkali (NaOH) that the vinegar will consume.

Another thing -- if you masterbatch lye solution, it's not a good idea to make it with vinegar if you are thinking to store the masterbatch more than a day or so. The mixture will thicken and be difficult to use. Make the vinegar-lye solution and then use it promptly.

Here's more I've written about using vinegar for soap making: Acetic acid (Vinegar) | Soapy Stuff

Agree with @DeeAnna and would suggest saving the ACV for the rinse.

That being said, I often use plain white vinegar as a partial water replacement, but not for adjusting pH. Rather, it helps the soap harden sooner and release from the mold more cleanly, similar to sodium lactate, but without the issues I seem to get from SL. White vinegar is much less expensive than ACV, but I understand if you are trying to avoid vinegar produced from corn, due to allergy concerns.

I also like the feel of the lather when I use vinegar. It has a softness or something that I can't quite pin down - but it's definitely there. If you try it, please report back and let us know what you think!

Lots of people use vinegar as a partial or full substitute for water -- we've talked about this many a time on this forum.

First thing -- don't expect vinegar to lower the pH despite all the stories to the contrary. Adding an acid like vinegar (acetic acid) will only increase the superfat instead if you don't add the extra alkali (NaOH) that the vinegar will consume.

Another thing -- if you masterbatch lye solution, it's not a good idea to make it with vinegar if you are thinking to store the masterbatch more than a day or so. The mixture will thicken and be difficult to use. Make the vinegar-lye solution and then use it promptly.

Here's more I've written about using vinegar for soap making: Acetic acid (Vinegar) | Soapy Stuff

Thank you. This is what goes through my head when I am trying to sleep! LOL!

Agree with @DeeAnna and would suggest saving the ACV for the rinse.

That being said, I often use plain white vinegar as a partial water replacement, but not for adjusting pH. Rather, it helps the soap harden sooner and release from the mold more cleanly, similar to sodium lactate, but without the issues I seem to get from SL. White vinegar is much less expensive than ACV, but I understand if you are trying to avoid vinegar produced from corn, due to allergy concerns.

I also like the feel of the lather when I use vinegar. It has a softness or something that I can't quite pin down - but it's definitely there. If you try it, please report back and let us know what you think!

I will. I think I may need some ACV powder to add to my conditioner bars.

Back