Acrylic planer/beveler

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soapies Supplies also carries them. It's not multi-function - 1 is a beveler (2 grooves) and 1 is a planer. But at only $25 each, I think it's a good deal to get both! I've got the planer and I really like it.

the etsy one cuts 1/16 on the bevel and planer. This seems deep to me. It is also more expensive.

Iris pass and a few others have the soap resource one but it doesn't give a specific depth just - paper thin.

I have the soap resource one and I love it. I have no idea how thin the shavings are, but you can vary the thickness by the amount of pressure you put on the bar of soap and the stage of cure. If the soap is not cured enough it smears all over the planer. If it is fully cured, the soap crumbles as it is planed instead of coming off in sheets. Personally, I like the fully cured crumbling than the smearing. I tend to plane mine at about six weeks and they all seem to smear. Some worse than others. However, it is hot and humid in Tennessee right now and I don't have central air conditioning. That has a huge impact on the curing process. I haven't soaped much this summer because of it.

The bevelers are nice, too, because they give you the option of how much of the edge you take off. I usually use the smaller of the two, because if I mess them up, I can use the larger one to correct it without making a huge mess of the bar.

ETA: One of the reasons I like it is because it can't cut you as badly as the razor ones can. I had a wooden planer with a razor (can't figure out what I did with it, though). I did't like that thing because I am a klutz and I can just see me slicing off a layer of my hand with it. I only used it once or twice when I said, "Nope. No way." I haven't seen it since. I have cut myself with the acrylic one, but not enough to remove flesh. Just banged my finger up against the "blade" hard enough to cause colorful language and minor bleeding.

Last edited:
I have the one from Soapmaking Resources and I love it. I only use the planer part of it, though, because I have a different tool for beveling that I like better.

IrishLass :)

I have the one from Soapmaking Resources and I love it. I only use the planer part of it, though, because I have a different tool for beveling that I like better.

Do you mind sharing what tool you use for beveling? I saw the photos of your Ion hanger swirl and really liked the edges.

Thank you.

Do you mind sharing what tool you use for beveling? I saw the photos of your Ion hanger swirl and really liked the edges.

Thank you.

I actually use a 1/8" / 1/4" Japanese radius plane for woodworking made by Kakuri: http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product/156637/18-14-radius-plane-kakuri.aspx. You can also buy it from Lee Valley Tools (they call it a round molding plane there: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=41232&cat=1,230,41182,41200

HTH!

Do you know how much the acrylic beveled takes off?
I would really just like the burrs taken off but my vegetable peeler gouges and takes off too much. The Japanese one looks lovely but I think I need more control.

Do you know how much the acrylic beveled takes off?
I would really just like the burrs taken off but my vegetable peeler gouges and takes off too much. The Japanese one looks lovely but I think I need more control.

I found that the Soapmaking Resources beveller took way too much off my edges for my liking- even on the side with the narrower notch. That's one of the reasons why I like my Kakuri better- its blade angle is adjustable on both sides, which gives me better control over how much soap gets beveled off. The Soapmaking Resource beveling notches are not adjustable.

The other reason that I love the Kakuri better is the look of the rounded, sculpted contours it gives my bevels. In comparison, the Soapmaking Resorce one gives flat, angular bevels.

Also the guiding grooves on the Kakuri provide wonderfully stable control so that my bevels are even all along my edges.

I found that the Soapmaking Resources beveller took way too much off my edges for my liking- even on the side with the narrower notch. That's one of the reasons why I like my Kakuri better- its blade angle is adjustable on both sides, which gives me better control over how much soap gets beveled off. The Soapmaking Resource beveling notches are not adjustable.

Oh no, just bought one from them. You say it takes too much off for your liking. Is it the amount of pressure you put on the bar while planning? Dumb question but I'm new to this.

Oh no, just bought one from them. You say it takes too much off for your liking. Is it the amount of pressure you put on the bar while planning? Dumb question but I'm new to this.

Teri- my apologies. I should clarify that the planer part of the device works wonderful- no complaints there- the slices of soap that it removes from the flat sides of my soap are paper thin. But when using the built-in beveling grooves for beveling the corner edges of my soap, it takes off too much for my liking.

HTH!
IrishLass:)

Just a quick update. Thanks to the recommendations, I decided on the planer from Soap Making Resource. It came yesterday and I tried it out on a couple of bars. It works beautifully, and I'm so glad I treated myself to something I didn't really 'need'.

Thank you all for your input - much appreciated, as always.

Just a quick update. Thanks to the recommendations, I decided on the planer from Soap Making Resource. It came yesterday and I tried it out on a couple of bars. It works beautifully, and I'm so glad I treated myself to something I didn't really 'need'.

Thank you all for your input - much appreciated, as always.

Hi Dibbles,
Can you measure how much the beveler part takes off the soap? How wide the angle of the cut is or how much if you squint horizontally it takes off?

Hi Dibbles,
Can you measure how much the beveler part takes off the soap? How wide the angle of the cut is or how much if you squint horizontally it takes off?

Here are a couple of pictures of a soap with the shavings. At the top is the bigger bevel. The smaller side is very minimal.

IMG_20161013_103303687.jpg

IMG_20161013_103833512.jpg

Last edited:
Wondering if any of you can help - I'm trying to buy the soap making resource planer/beveler but none of our emails/FB messages to them have been answered (5 in the last 2 weeks). Any idea if they are still operating?

Back