Acrylic molds from Soap Making Resource?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deedles

Reaction score
I know there's been lots of info about molds but I haven't seen the pros and cons of acrylic molds. I've been looking at slab molds and found the acrylic molds from SMR. I like not having to line them!

Has anyone used them? Pros and cons?

I haven't specifically used the SMR acrylic molds, but I do have some experience with using acrylic with my soap via Brambleberry's wooden vertical mold with it's accompanying acrylic liners. To be quite honest- I dislike those acrylic liners so much that I've taken to lining the mold with alternative liner material (the mold itself is awesome, but the liners suck). Basically, the acrylic liners made unmolding so difficult that I ended up ruining one too many batches trying to extricate my soap from their clutches. I tried every trick in the book, too- mineral oil, sodium lactate, sticking it in the freezer, sticking it in the oven, etc... Finally, I said 'No more!' and started lining it with mylar and/or fondant mats, and I'm a much happier camper now. If SMR's acrylic molds are anything like BB's acrylic liners, I personally would run the other way. lol But that's just me.

IrishLass :)

Several of the people I have seen talk about them on the site have found that they do need to be lined - but a couple of others said they work great. So your results can vary.

Had one of them, did not like it one bit. Had to line it to get soap out. Tried using SL, Mineral Oil and other things just did not work. Someone posted looking for one so I sold it about 5 months later.

Back