Accidentally pink soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cascarral

Reaction score
Hello!

I made a 100% CO soap and it turned pink! Have no idea why... has this happened to anyone before? It has 33% lye concentration and no additives, just plain lye and CO.

I also mixed for too long jaja that’s why it looks so bad... but look at this color It’s crazy!

Attachments

• AD11C48F-7FBA-4BAC-8ECF-6C2D48D42158.jpeg
    AD11C48F-7FBA-4BAC-8ECF-6C2D48D42158.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 65
Interesting. No, I’ve never had that happen in my 100% CO soaps.

:s it’s so weird! I soaped at 41 C like always and used the same lye supplier!

maybe it was something about the lye I don’t even use micas so it’s not like it could have been a dirty tool..

Some preservatives used in fats can turn pink from exposure to high pH. Does your coconut oil contain anything like BHA or BHT or other preservative?
I have no idea I bought it desperately throw alibaba

What materials were the tools that you used made of?
Plastic and stainless steel

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had lard batches go pink and I think it has to do with the preservative they have used. Did you use any fo? I have also had high CO Salt bars go pink using Salty Air FO at times but not all the time with the same fo out of the same bottle.

I have no idea I bought it desperately throw alibaba
Plastic and stainless steel

That knocks out some factors. I can't speak for alibaba but if they sell coconut oil in a local store, you may be better off getting that there. I'm not familar with the west, South West in your case, so I don't know about reputable lye vendors near you.

I would also look at your lye. I have seen some youtubers in Europe whose lye water is pink because of the lye they use. Was the lye water pink when you made the soap? That would probably answer the question of whether it's the oil or the lye.

Gosh, I'd never heard of the lye being pink, @amd. Thanks for bringing it up -- I'll tuck that tidbit into my bag of assorted soapy trivia. ;)

Thanks to everyone :) I strongly think it was something about the CO... I'll be more careful with my suppliers in the future!

The lye was not pink, nor the CO, it all turned pink like magic when I combined them.

Yesterday I did another batch with the same lye and CO but this time I only used 30% CO and it was completely fine.

UGH! I was hoping to make some 100% CO soaps for me and my family since I still have this HUGE Alibaba bucket and no longer want to use it for selling soap. I'll have to get creative on what to do to it, jaja!

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with me :p

Its a pretty pink, I would still use the CO and not worry about the color.
You could probably color over it or at least change the shade a bit. I'd try a blue or orange.

Thanks to everyone :) I strongly think it was something about the CO... I'll be more careful with my suppliers in the future!

The lye was not pink, nor the CO, it all turned pink like magic when I combined them.

Yesterday I did another batch with the same lye and CO but this time I only used 30% CO and it was completely fine.

UGH! I was hoping to make some 100% CO soaps for me and my family since I still have this HUGE Alibaba bucket and no longer want to use it for selling soap. I'll have to get creative on what to do to it, jaja!

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with me :p

Sorry to respond so late, but I really doubt there was anything wrong with your CO or the supplier of that CO. I looked for the other threads in the other groups that talked about this, but couldn't find them (they were awhile back). Bottom line, a person whose soapy-science knowledge I respect explained that the pink tinge is a known "thing" with coconut oil soaps. While I don't recall the exact chemical explanation she gave, the bottom line was that this is just a harmless reaction that happens sometimes due to variances in the chemical makeup of any given batch of CO, most likely due to different growing seasons, soils, etc.

Sorry to respond so late, but I really doubt there was anything wrong with your CO or the supplier of that CO. I looked for the other threads in the other groups that talked about this, but couldn't find them (they were awhile back). Bottom line, a person whose soapy-science knowledge I respect explained that the pink tinge is a known "thing" with coconut oil soaps. While I don't recall the exact chemical explanation she gave, the bottom line was that this is just a harmless reaction that happens sometimes due to variances in the chemical makeup of any given batch of CO, most likely due to different growing seasons, soils, etc.
Thanks so much for your answer :) ! I'll keep looking into it!

One idea would be to make salt soaps for your family. Most recipes for them use a very high percentage of coconut oil. Your family probably won't care if it comes out pink. They do take a long cure time, though.

One idea would be to make salt soaps for your family. Most recipes for them use a very high percentage of coconut oil. Your family probably won't care if it comes out pink. They do take a long cure time, though.
This is a great idea! I will do that! Thank you :D

Latest posts

Back