Accidentally over superfatted...leave it alone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok ok I'll try a lard recipe! LOL I actually have 5lbs of it under the cabinet. Might try lard and coconut...don't ask me why I like the coconut so much :).

Thing is....ya'll are calling a 8 month old bar "old"....I have some ivory (gasp) that I still haven't used up that's going on 5 years old... so when I'm talking about storing something I"m not kidding!

I got annoyed and froze the mold to get the bars out. We're now into "playdoh" consistency...blech! but at least I have my mold back :). Fawning over the 100% coconut as I was moving the nice hard bars around to make room for the playdoh...

Last edited:
I can tell the difference between palm and lard too, or at least if feels to me as if the lard is creamier, which I like. I do keep palm on hand for people who are really opposed to animal fats, but I definitely prefer the feel of lard and find it easier to work with. Definitely no crucifiction, though, K, it's a big old soapy world, it is good that there are so may options to suit all of us.

Carolyn, those experiments were interesting, they *were* very DOS-y. I wonder what happened there, especially since they were all 100% lard, tallow, etc? I've only been using lard for about 4-5 mos, but no DOS so far. That might be in part because I started adding EDTA for hard water about 3 mos ago, not sure if that helps w/r/t preventing DOS (I know citric acid and BHT are supposed to). But even the early bars have yet to show signs of DOS. I was using the Farmer John's brand then, have since switched to S&F, but neither has been a problem, so hope that remains the case.

I generally like tallow, too, but agree with Lena, it does feel waxier. Nice bubbles and hardness, though.

Soapmage, I feel for you. I would hate to give up lard. I would think it might be worth at least trying to make a sample batch to see if you still find that the scent comes through in cured soap. I don't detect it at all, even the day after pour/CPOPing, which I usually do. But if you really hate the fat smell you might not liking working with even during the measuring/melting part.

NSmar, let us know what you think. I made a high-ish lard brine soap yesterday (63% lard/10% olive/20 % coconut, 7% castor), couldn't help testing a sliver today, and I can already tell it is going to be really, really good.

Last edited:
Ok, I tried the 50/50 mix. Will see how it goes. Cut it at 16 hours, much softer than 100% coconut but handleable (although I made a "rock" out of the trimmings LOL). Next time will let it sit longer!

I smell...........dough? Piggy dough? And now I'm hungry :).

My original superfatted soap is still soft ......but it's stopped being sticky at least!

The scent factor is so interesting. I have been using lard forever and never had dos or find any piggy smell lingers after it becomes soap. I don't make unscented soaps usually though. Carolyn's test soaps were clearly a different experience altogether and definitely had a strong smell in the soap. I usually use the Armour brand lard which I know has all the additives though, but I have used the farmer john brand and didn't notice a difference.

I also want to add how much I do appreciate a good all veggie bar. I didn't say it in my previous post but definitely no crucifixion to those who avoid lard. One of my favorite bars doesn't have palm or lard in the recipe - it has a higher amount of coconut oil than I typically use but with cocoa butter and shea butter to compensate I think it balances it out. It lasts forever too!

Ok, I tried the 50/50 mix. Will see how it goes. Cut it at 16 hours, much softer than 100% coconut but handleable (although I made a "rock" out of the trimmings LOL). Next time will let it sit longer!

I smell...........dough? Piggy dough? And now I'm hungry :).

My original superfatted soap is still soft ......but it's stopped being sticky at least!

Are you using full water? I generally use 2 parts water, 1 part lye and I can cut my soaps after 8-12 hours.

Back