Accidentally Applied Essential Oils while lactating

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicoa76

Reaction score
When receiving care at the salon, the person applied a mix of essential oils on my skin, locally. I know that essential oils should not be used while lactating but now it's after the facts. Ingredients include: Rosemary, Lavender, Blood Orange, Gurjun Balsam, Spearmint, Opoponax, Chamomile and already diluted in MCT carrier oil.

Two questions:

1) Should I stop lactating my kid for some time ? 24 hours ? My daughter is 2 months old.
2) Is there a way to flush or neutralize the essential oils ? Lots of water ?

Thanks,

Jocelynn

I know that essential oils should not be used while lactating but now it's after the facts.
That is not strictly true. It is estimated that about only 1% of diffused EOs actually make it through breastmilk to the baby and it is not harmful. This sounds about right...I had to have gall bladder surgery while I was breastfeeding and consulted with La Leche League about breastfeeding while on pain meds. They said that the amount of pain meds that would actually be in my milk might make her sleep a little longer, but that it wouldn't hurt her.

You will be fine. The baby will be fine.

Latest posts

Back