Accidental Creation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitewitchbeauty

Reaction score
My first attempt at making cp salt bars didn't go well, so i thought. I had very dry flaky bars that broke into pieces. So I grated it all into a big bag and sealed it not knowing what I was going to do with it. So recently, I was feeling adventurous and I opened up the bag, scooped some of the powder in a bowl, and put a little water and vegetable glycerin with it. Then I poured it into the blender after i mixed it a little. What I ended up with was a really cool sea salt face wash. Well I bottled it up and it works amazingly. The photo shows the sea salt face wash and some other stuff i made for a friend. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1448517155.985885.jpg

Last edited:
What preservative did you use in the face scrub? Nice idea for using the crumbly salt bars btw.

I would not be selling it without having it tested for bacteria, and I noticed you are going to sell it. It is quite limited on what preservatives can be used in scrubs. From your picture above I would nix the statement on your pine tar soap as soothing for eczema, that may not be true. Some like me are severely allergic to pine tar, you just set your self up for a law suit, plus it is not allowed by FDA. You actually turned it into a drug. Sorry, not trying to start a debate and this did not go with the original question, I just get so angry with statements such as this

I totally agree with Carolyn and would remove the claim from your PT. You inadvertently turned your soap into a drug by including it.

For my scrubs, I like to use Phenonip: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/10/preservatives-phenonip.html It doesn't play well with some non-ionic ingredients, but it you aren't using poly 80 or poly 20 to emulsify you should be okay. Since I don't sell, I have not had mine lab tested. However, my in-home observations have not detected any change in a year old scrub that I use once a month in a shower setting.

The cp soaps are gifts. I am sending a few to my friend and labeled just for her to tell which soap is which. I will change labels when im ready to sell :)

Last edited:
I used potassium sorbate as a preservative. It's what i have at the moment. Ive used Germall before :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious, but depending on how much water she added, would it really even need a preservative? Both salt and soap are self-preserving. Glycerin can be too.. So depending on amounts, couldn't it have a high enough pH that it doesn't need a preservative? Especially since its in a bottle that you pour from instead of in a jar that you dip your fingers into. I completely understand the "just in case" factor, I'm just thinking out loud.

I had 2 cups of grated salt bar powder to 1/4 cup distilled water. I blended it til it looked whipped and added 1% potassium sorbate (to my water before mixing.) I had a mold incident a few months back with an African Black Soap experiment and despise mold! Eww. :) So far the mix is holding up. It will sit for a few more months and i will check on it.

Last edited:
Back