Accident Diagnoses

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wessam

Reaction score
I attempted today to make myrrh/ frankencese powder soap. to have the powder disolved i boiled the distilled water, added the powders, stirred till all the powder is gone. then i added the lye to this solution. while stirring the solution after adding lye, it started hissing, bubbling and rising in the pot same like what happens to boiled milk. God was merciful enough to make it stop rising before it spills out of the pot!

Was this due to adding the lye to the hot solution? or was it due to the existence of the myrrh and the frankencene?

Adding lye to water causes a chemical reaction that heats the water. Since you added it to water that was already hot, the water temperature rose and started to boil. It sounds like it didn't boil over, so that's good news! Next time just dissolve any powders/salt/suger, etc., and then let that solution cool before adding lye to the water. :)

Adding lye to water causes a chemical reaction that heats the water. Since you added it to water that was already hot, the water temperature rose and started to boil. It sounds like it didn't boil over, so that's good news! Next time just dissolve any powders/salt/suger, etc., and then let that solution cool before adding lye to the water. :)

That's good to know :D Thanx a lot.. have a great weekend :)

Also, if you're adding lye to anything other than plain water, put your container in the sink to mix. I recently learned that lesson the hard way when my beer/lye solution suddenly volcanoed all over the counter. A bit scary and a lot irritating since I had to quickly get it all cleaned up and worry about lye solution that may be left behind. Lots cussing going on that day. :x I'm glad you dodged the volcano bullet!

A very good tip! seems that your lye gets drunk easily!! :))) Thanx to God you and your family survived this accident... Stay safe dear:D

Back