acceleration from menthol?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with menthol causing acceleration? I just made a bigger batch of my menthol soap but I increased it from 3% to 4%. It accelerated and riced almost immediately.
I tried to beat it into submission but it didn't help a whole lot so I just gave up on it being decent looking and glopped it in the mold.

This is a favorite soap of mine and the families, I need to figure out how to make it without it turning into oatmeal.

I used a blend of mostly behaving scent, the balsam can make things move faster but not like what happened today and I only used it at 25% of the blend.

I made a batch with 4% menthol a couple of weeks ago with no problem. I am using the same EOs I always have in my hubby's soap. Is it a new source for it, by any chance?

This is the only menthol I've ever used and I have no idea where it comes from. There is a local soaping supply store but they won't indulge who supplies them. Where do you get yours? Love to have some that doesn't cause issues.

This batch heated like crazy too, tried crawling right out of the mold. Ended having to stir it back together, hot enough it looked like HP but at least it didn't separate.

I need sleep. I thought the title was "acceleration for mental." I couldn't wait to read it. So disappointing...
LOL, I needed a laugh today Teresa thankyou!! :) I have used menthol crystals up to 5% in soap with no problems whatsoever. I purchased mine on Amazon, I have also purchased from Camden Grey, and Making Cosmetics. LOL, my daughter loves menthol and I won't mention what type of balm we used to make with it, for her but it :???: was very strong smelling and not with menthol :evil:

Last edited:
Hmm, sounds like the menthol wasn't the culprit. My scent blend must have been the cause after all. Good thing I won't be using it again.

It could be the combination of the menthol with the FO blend. I have had that happen before on EOs. This EO is well behaved, that EO is well behaved, but put them together and plop it into the mold in 3.5 seconds.

It looks like my menthol was from Greenals, as I forgot I can look back on my past orders til just now. I just ordered an 8 oz jar from Silver Cloud Estates LLC, as that jar would be less problematic to store for me, and I can re-use it for future Greenals orders. Thank you for reminding me I need more!

Last edited:
Did you say you also scaled up the size of the batch? That could also be a factor in the acceleration and heating.

Yea, it was a much larger batch and a slightly different recipe. A bit more coconut, a bit less OO and a different blend of FO/EO. Next time I won't add the scent before the lye, maybe that will help a little. I'll make sure to hand mix it too.

Soap ended up looking nice. There are a few small air holes here and there and the tops are a bit rustic but much better then I expected.

Latest posts

Back