Acceleration and cracking

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Reaction score
I made my first batch of soap in two weeks and it accelerated and I smashed it into the mold. I insulated it as usual and checked it later to find that it cracked. This is the first time this has ever happened to me. When a fragrance accelerates your soap, do you cover and insulate as usual or do you treat it differently?

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
I've found when a batch accelerates, aka "soap on a stick", it's best to set a timer for 5 minutes and walk away. When you come back, it's likely going into gel and easy to stir up and mold up. I would not insulate at that point. It's already gone through gel although it may heat up again... not sure about that. :oops: I don't have a lot of experience with FOs. Use your best judgment. :thumbs:;)

Reaction score
I agree with @Zany_in_CO - let it start gelling and then mold it. The only thing I do differently is stay and watch to be sure I catch it at the right time.

The other option is to throw it into heat-safe pot and HP it, whether in a crockpot, on the stove-top, or in the microwave. The extra heat speeds up the gel process, which loosens up the soap for easier/better molding.

Whether it gels on its own or via HP, I wouldn't heat it any further or insulate it after that, to avoid cracking.

Reaction score
I've never had an accelerating FO crack in the mold. I just had one today in fact and I still CPOPped it.
ETA - how big is your mold? Mine is a standard loaf mold with the purple/pink silicone liner. If you mold is bigger then that would cause more heat.

Obsidian

Reaction score
For me, accelerating FO always heats up more/faster so it's not surprising yours cracked.

If it accelerates beyond a pourable ploppy thickness, I'll wrap my bowl in a towel and wait for it to gel before molding it.
At that point, its more of a HP but its the easiest way to save a batch

Reaction score
I've never had an accelerating FO crack in the mold. I just had one today in fact and I still CPOPped it.
ETA - how big is your mold? Mine is a standard loaf mold with the purple/pink silicone liner. If you mold is bigger then that would cause more heat.
It's a tall skinny mold about 12 inches long - about 30 cm