Acacia gum as an emulsifier in lotion or cream?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmamulhall

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Title says it all. Would that work? I have no recipe or anything for you to critique, but am looking for something to use as an emulsifier before I make it. I found a recipe online that uses only acacia gum as an emulsifier. I don’t know how well it would hold up though, so I just wanted to ask you wonderful people! I would really prefer to use something natural and vegan!

My understanding is acacia gum and other vegetable gums are thickeners, not emulsifiers, so, no, these ingredients won't create a stable emulsion. They can modify the texture and thickness of a lotion, so they're good to use with an effective primary emulsifier. But used alone ... not so much.

Here is an article about a study of several different types of gums -- What you need to know about natural gums (part I) - Swettis Beauty Blog The emulsifier in each of these lotions tested is a separate ingredient called Plantasens.

See also Lotion Making

I hope you are also deciding which preservative will work in your lotion. Lotion requires a preservative.

My understanding is acacia gum and other vegetable gums are thickeners, not emulsifiers, so, no, these ingredients won't create a stable emulsion. They can modify the texture and thickness of a lotion, so they're good to use with an effective primary emulsifier. But used alone ... not so much.

Here is an article about a study of several different types of gums -- What you need to know about natural gums (part I) - Swettis Beauty Blog The emulsifier in each of these lotions tested is a separate ingredient called Plantasens.

See also Lotion Making

I hope you are also deciding which preservative will work in your lotion. Lotion requires a preservative.
Thank you! And yes of course, that much I know for certain! Anything with water needs a broad spectrum preservative :) Don’t want to be getting sick from something fun! Thanks again! I’ll check out those links.

A large majority of people who are looking for "natural" emulsifiers do not accept that an effective preservative is critical for lotions. I applaud you -- you're one of the few who understand! I'm glad to hear this.

Latest posts

Back