Absinthe Rebatch Recreation Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAShillito

Reaction score
So my 2nd loaf of Absinthe soap turned out worse than the first so I chopped it up and rebatched it in the oven. I finally cut it today and my hubby wants me to make more bc it looks so neat. I told him it's hard to replicate failures so im hoping you experts can help me.would I hot process the next batch? Thank you!!!
Attached is my recipe and soap

Attachments

• 20210921_162414.jpg
    20210921_162414.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210921_162052.jpg
    20210921_162052.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 12
Is it the rind -- the darker outer shell on the bar in your photo -- that you want to replicate? If so, I don't know of a way to replicate this effect and have it be a permanent pattern. If your soap is like the others I've seen, the entire soap will eventually turn the same darker color as the rind.

A rind can happen with cold process soap as well as hot process soap and rebatched soap, so I'm pretty sure it's not related to the method by which the soap is made. I think it's more connected to chemical reactions that happen when a colorant in the soap is exposed to air/oxygen.

I have wondered if this rind effect is more common with colorants made directly from natural sources. For example, I colored one batch of CP soap with cocoa powder and the outer rind was semisweet chocolate brown while the center was (temporarily) milk chocolate. Maybe do a search with "rind" as a keyword and see what colorants come up in the discussions?

Anyways, enjoy it while you've got it!

Back