? about the May Challenge- opinons please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a quick question about next month's challenge. I was going to do a technique challenge when I thought about a few months ago but I think a design challenge is in order for May.

What I have in mind is fairly open. Do people want me to post a video of me pouring one of the soaps I will use to demonstrate a way to meet the challenge? I don't want it to be tedious and the pour I used is not the challenge part. It ended up being 10 minutes of just pouring. I can also try to splice it together to shorten it up or speed it up but would people rather just have the explanation of the challenge with pictures to demonstrate?

I agree with Navaria. This sounds like we can allow our individual creativity shine more than rigidly following techniques. If you explain what the challenge goals are and and suggest ways we can achieve them, I think that would be sufficient. For instance, if you want a Monet-esque design on a slab no thicker than 1 inch, I can handle that. (I could handle it; not be good at it.) I'd probably attempt "Poppies" or "Sunrise" because they're not very well defined to begin with, so if I totally screwed them up, it would be my "interpretation."

Whatever you think best newbie. I don't mind if the videos are a little long. It gives some pondering time. But, not knowing what the challenge is, if you think a post with pictures works as well, I'm ok with that too.

ETA: I just realized that this probably isn't very helpful.

Last edited:
This issue runs along the line of the black and white challenge. Sonya's video showed her making a B&W soap but the technique she used was not related to the challenge, other than that her soap was black and white. It wasn't that you were supposed to use or copy that technique. Mine is quite the same. I fully expect everyone to do everything BUT use the pour I did.

The challenge I want to do steps down hard of the creativity pedal. Videos of techniques aren't the focus at all. That's why I ask; it's a video but in many ways useless for the challenge. However, some people just like watching soaping videos- as long as what I do does not squelch anyone's ideas of what they can/should do for their entry, I am fine posting one. It's relevance is very limited though.

I'd say streamline the video or augment an intro with pics. If you splice out the pour, you might be able to use it in a different video more focused on that technique. Reduce / Reuse!

I love the videos. It really helps to understand the challenge more than pictures alone. Unfortunately my videos run way too long and I have no video editing software to fix that problem. I say go for a video. if it becomes a little too long I have no problem fast-forwarding the video up a little bit to see the end result. I see no problems with the video being a little on the longer side.

I really enjoy watching entire videos. There's always the option of doing a fast forward if I choose. For me part of watching videos is also tapping into the other soap makers reasoning, getting to know their personalities, etc. Personally, I'd rather watch in silence that listen to background music. For some reason I find it very irritating, maybe because not everyone likes the same music. My preference is to concentrate on the process even if the persona demonstrating isn't talking.

If you put out a video I will probably watch it 2 or 3 times. Puts me in the right mindset. I skip through videos if I'm watching several in a row. If you don't put out a video that is fine also.

Just a quick question about next month's challenge. I was going to do a technique challenge when I thought about a few months ago but I think a design challenge is in order for May.

What I have in mind is fairly open. Do people want me to post a video of me pouring one of the soaps I will use to demonstrate a way to meet the challenge? I don't want it to be tedious and the pour I used is not the challenge part. It ended up being 10 minutes of just pouring. I can also try to splice it together to shorten it up or speed it up but would people rather just have the explanation of the challenge with pictures to demonstrate?

Ten minutes of pouring?? Sounds intricate - I want to see that.

I love to watch your videos whether I'm in the challenge or not, and there's such a thing as a ff button if I want to skip something.

I say post the video, people love soap ****! Even if it's not going to demonstrate an actual technique to be followed.

Even though Saponista's black & white video (I know we both have such charming English accents but I can't take the credit since it wasn't mine) wasn't showing a specific technique to be replicated I think people still enjoyed watching it.

Oh, sorry, Sonya and Saponista! I have lost track of who has done what so I took a flyer. I hope no one thinks I was saying the B&W video was not useful. In a technique challenge, you have to video the technique; it's a must. In a design challenge, the video is more of a bonus. I will post the video as separate piece and if people want to skip it, no problem.

I've been censored before too. It's kind of funny.

Ha!! How funny that my post has been censored!! Will it censor if I put spaces I wonder??

Soap p o r n

He, he, I thought you were being - in my best British posh voice "terribly polite" by not writing that word!!! I laughed so much and literally choked on my tea when you wrote it in with spaces. Go girl!

Newbie, I love videos too. It's rather like enjoying soap photos, but you get to see and learn so much more from videos :)

Latest posts

Back