About Phenolphthalein

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biarine

Reaction score
I never used Phenolphthalein before, this chemical is really accurate to test if the paste still having lye? Because sometimes I am still thinking that my paste still having lye even though the water test was clear. Thanks for the helps.

Use the zap test. Phenolphthalein tests the pH. You do not need to know the pH. You need to know if there is still free lye in the soap. Your tongue tests that.

Also, the clarity test is purported to test for fats that have not saponified. Many factors affect whether soap is clear. Unsaponified oils are simply one of them, and the clarity test is notoriously inaccurate due to all the other factors.

Last edited:
Use the zap test. Phenolphthalein tests the pH. You do not need to know the pH. You need to know if there is still free lye in the soap. Your tongue tests that.

Also, the clarity test is purported to test for fats that have not saponified. Many factors affect whether soap is clear. Unsaponified oils are simply one of them, and the clarity test is notoriously inaccurate due to all the other factors.

Thank you Susie x

Latest posts

Back