Quantcast

About a Soap's Properties

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a correlation between a soaps level of conditioning (ex- it being high) and the feeling of that same soap leaving your skin feeling like you need a second lather down with a different soap? I made soap two weeks ago for the first time using 45% Olive oil, 22.08% Coconut oil, 20% Avocado oil and 12.92% cocoa butter. It feels satisfactory and all but I wind up lingering in my showers a little longer than I'd like (water bill's too doggone high). I did run it though soapcalc and it seemed feasible.

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You made this soap 2 weeks ago? HP or CP? Either way a soap with that amount of olive oil will be much nicer with a longer cure (I'm talking months not weeks).

Obsidian

Reaction score
2 weeks is a short cure, give it another 2-4 weeks then try it. Can you explain more what you mean by needing to rewash with different soap? Have you used handmade soap before?

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. I forgot to mention that it was a hot processed soap.

2. When I use a soap, I don't really like feeling like there's residue on my skin. I'm having issues even describing it... Actually, it feels like if I used a commercial bar like Ivory or Irish Spring.

3. I still have a few bars of this batch left. I wanted to see how they would be after a few more weeks of curing. Hot process or not.

KristaMarie

Reaction score
Hot process still needs a good cure; give it a few more weeks and try it then.

Do you have hard water? I definitely get some weirdness with the feeling on my skin, but I have super hard water. Lye soap reacts with the minerals in hard water to create soap scum.

What is your superfat?

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hot process still needs a good cure; give it a few more weeks and try it then.

Do you have hard water? I definitely get some weirdness with the feeling on my skin, but I have super hard water. Lye soap reacts with the minerals in hard water to create soap scum.

What is your superfat?
Hard water- Don't have it

Superfat was 5%

Let it cure a few more weeks- will do. :thumbup:

Latest posts