A word of warning, wear closed toed shoes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb

Reaction score
A word of warning for those of you like me who prefer to walk around barefoot or in sandals

Yesterday I dropped an entire crockpot of boiling liquid russian fudge.

As you can understand, I jumped away as quick as I could, but the burns I got knocked my breath away and I was very happy to be in the house of a registered nurse and a nursing student. I was having boiling sugar showered off my feet within less than five seconds, literally.

Because of that, I only had four burns bad enough to blister, but to say that I've been comfortable in the last 24 hours is an understatement.

I can only imagine it would be worse with something that isn't water soluable (oil) and would stick to the skin, as well as chemical burns (lye) on top.

So please, wear closed toed shoes. For your own safety.

Cheers
Deb

OMG
I am so glad it wasn't worse , I am sure you are in a lot of pain , burns are the worst . {{{hugs}}}.
Please take good care of yourself and get better soon.
Thank you for the warning , I always wear my closed in crocs , just for this reason.

Kitn

omg that must hurt so bad. I've thought of that myself but kinda pushed it aside. I'll be wearing shoes for sure!

LOL, I'd thought of it too...

but learn from my mistake. Please?

And yeah, I'm liking my acetaminophen today.

Ouch!! I am always barefoot and I've actually splashed raw soap on my feet a few times. It hurts!! :(

Hope your foot heals soon!

*grins* its only liquid in the making stage..you have to scoop it fast out of the crock, because at a certain point it 'seizes' the way a bad FO can.

Seriously, it goes rock solid if you don't get it in the molds soon enough. I'll pm you the recipe?

Ouch! That's just nasty. Lucky you were with some fast thinking people. Hope the pain is not too bad today. I use neat Lavender oil on burns to take the pain away and stop blisters. It's wonderful.

I'm very lucky - I make a bruise balm that does a wonderful job on this kind of thing. I've been slathering it on! Between that and the very quick cold shower, i'm healing up nicely.

Feet are starting to feel and look 'human' again, and I'm down to about two or three blisters that stubbornly insist on healing up and filling themselves each time. Found some between my toes, how did they get there?! I'm just dealing and not eating acetaminophen like candy any more. Its to the point my friends are teasing me ;-)

I will never live this down, will I?

OMG, I'm so glad you're ok...

There's things in life that are super-yucky to get on your skin. Molten hot cheese, candy, lye....ugh!

First of all, I am so glad your ok. Second of all, I am always in my jammies when soaping at night after closing my store. I am talking long t-shirt nighties. Nothing on my feet and usually short sleeves, I do wear gloves and glasses. You have me thinking that I should not be in my jammies while soaping anymore, thank you!
Although I do have to say, I am soooo comfortable in my nighties soaping at night. :p

Well we all need to wear /something/ while soaping...but the fact is fabric can be removed and will stop a lot of stuff hitting your skin. My trousers were covered in spatters I never even felt through the fabric

But i"m looking into aprons. Plastic ones. I know its probably over the top, but there you have it ;-)

Take away from this whatever you want or can - but remember intelligence is learning from your own mistakes, wisdom from the mistakes of others ;-)

Back