A well stocked supply cabinet...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seawolfe

Reaction score
Ok the WSP sale is coming up, and I've recently branched into lotions, and I want to make scrubs and facial cremes and and body butters and syndet shampoos, shampoo bars and hair conditioners! I have been reading the swifty crafty monkey blog as if for a final exam :)

So what does the well stocked pantry of such a creator carry?
Of course I have all the butters and oils, and some clays. Glycerin and propylene glycol because I vape. Sodium lactate, citric acid, emulsifying wax (generic, but it works), cetyl alcohol, stearic acid. Liquid Germall +

I want phenonip for anyhdrous scrubs
I want some silicones - but which ones?
I want some syndets - but which?
Do I want some hydrosols? Why cant I just steep a bunch of calendula or chamomile?

What do you think a well stocked goop making pantry carries? Any recommendations?

I have started using isopropyl myristate (IPM) in my lotion to help them sink in faster and be less greasy feeling. I use about 3% in my oil phase.

I tried some chamomile hydrosol, I could not tell the difference than normal water. Hydrosols are the water portion left over from steam distilling EO's so I am not sure if a steep would do the same thing or not.

Here is what SCM says about hydrosols. There is also comments about teas - she is against that, and lists the reasons why.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/03/hydrosols.html

Last edited:
A hydrosol is different than a tea/infusion. For example, I've made a water infusion of sweetgrass and a hydrosol of sweetgrass. The infusion is dark brownish green and smells dull and unappealing. The hydrosol is sparkling clear like water and smells quite fragrant, much like the dried sweetgrass itself, only less grassy and more sweet. The difference is apples and oranges.

For hair conditioner, BTMS-50 and dimethicone are great ingredients, and a good all-purpose syndet is coco betaine. There are some other really good syndets, but WSP doesn't carry them. Hydrosols seem nice, but I don't bother with them as they are very expensive.

I'd pop in some surfactants:

SLSA: for bath bombs and general powdered uses
Cocamidopropyl Betaine: liquid and fun to play with in bubble bars though I don't care for it in CP (I've only experimented with a couple of times though)

I know they carry both of those under "special" WSP names. LAL powder and umm Bubble-something. They don't seem to carry a couple of others I'm looking for though... Bummer.

Also, some Hydrolyzed Proteins. I like Oat and/or Silk.

Silicones are nice: I like a combo of cyclomethicone and dimethicone in lotions.

Last edited:
thanks gang!

Ok heres my list - I know it wont all be available at WSP, but never hurts to get what you can on sale. If anyone has anything to add, I'd appreciate it

Phenonip
isopropyl myristate (IPM)
BTMS-50 (Is this the same as Incroquat BTMS from Swifty Crafty Monkey conditioner recipes?)
cyclomethicone
dimethicone
cocamidopropyl betaine
SLSA
SCI?
Hydrolized proteins like oat or silk
Powdered Aloe?
Panthenol?
Orange Butter

BTMS-50 (Is this the same as Incroquat BTMS from Swifty Crafty Monkey conditioner recipes?)

She usually refers to BTMS-50 as Incroquat BTMS-50. Just be careful, as there is also an Incroquat BTMS-25. Check the ingredient lists before you order. BTMS-50 is behentrimonium methosulfate, cetyl alcohol, and butylene glycol, while BTMS-25 is behentrimonium methosulfate and cetearyl alcohol.
As far as I know, WSP doesn't sell BTMS-50, but Brambleberry does.

Ok the WSP sale is coming up, and I've recently branched into lotions, and I want to make scrubs and facial cremes and and body butters and syndet shampoos, shampoo bars and hair conditioners! I have been reading the swifty crafty monkey blog as if for a final exam :)

So what does the well stocked pantry of such a creator carry?
Of course I have all the butters and oils, and some clays. Glycerin and propylene glycol because I vape. Sodium lactate, citric acid, emulsifying wax (generic, but it works), cetyl alcohol, stearic acid. Liquid Germall +

I want phenonip for anyhdrous scrubs
I want some silicones - but which ones?
I want some syndets - but which?
Do I want some hydrosols? Why cant I just steep a bunch of calendula or chamomile?

What do you think a well stocked goop making pantry carries? Any recommendations?

Your post caught my eye as my son also vapes and is involved with our company making products for us. Not to hijack thread but he may be interested in making his own liquid. Do you have a good lead? Thanks!

Your post caught my eye as my son also vapes and is involved with our company making products for us. Not to hijack thread but he may be interested in making his own liquid. Do you have a good lead? Thanks!

Oh funny enough I got my VG and PG from Essential Depot, and my flavorings, bottles and nic from High Desert Vapes :) That and some small graduated cylinders and funnels are all he needs.

Just a thought. I've been making thick cream lately, and I've found the soft n silky e wax far better than the traditional. Give it a try and let me know what you think? Anyone else find the difference that I do between the two?

Just a thought. I've been making thick cream lately, and I've found the soft n silky e wax far better than the traditional. Give it a try and let me know what you think? Anyone else find the difference that I do between the two?

Where do you get this soft n silky e wax?

Latest posts

Back