A Spreadsheet Soap Price Calculator

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
I've seen people asking about a basic price calculator and figured I could share mine if anyone's interested.
I only made it for myself so it's pretty basic and calculate the price batch by batch. I typically use it as a guideline and will consider other elements (cure time, difficulty to make, etc.) when coming up with a final price.
There are programs out there for soap makers to use but they usually have a fee. However, if you are just starting and just want to roughly calculate your cost and go from there, I believe this can be useful.

You can download it from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VP6ixfeMf2ohw_OHXlLHAkJm_HTQtiB4/view?usp=sharing
Some basic tutorial of the calculator:
1. Once you downloaded and opened the file, it should look something like this.
1.png

2. The default number for the oils' price are from my supplier and based on my local currency. You need to do the calculation and change those to what price your oils come in yourself.
I put olive oils on top since they are in every batch of mine. Other oils are arranged in alphabet order.
Feel free to change the types of oil, price, and units, according to your need. I like using the price/g but you can change it to lb, oz, kg etc., just put in the corresponding number for price per unit.
4.png
2.5.png

If you don't need this much oil types and want to delete some, I recommend you just leave blanks instead of deleting them, as I worry it may mess up the calculation

3. Type in the amount of the oils you used in the yellow column. Don't edit anything in the Total column since it does the calculation.
5.png
6.png

4. Put in other costs
2.png

The lye entry is colored blue, don't forget about it.
You need to manually put in fragrance and additive cost since I figured they can be estimated easily. You can also easily make a copy and customize the calculator into a fragrance calculator.
For packaging, price/pc is how much it costs you to package each bar of soap. pc# is how many bars of soap came out of this batch. Total is how much packaging alone costs, like before you don't need to do anything about it.

5. See the pricing. The result is automatically generated as you put oil and other costs in.
3.png

Basically, if you just want to know the material cost, see the orange row.
The white row is simply a guide on pricing. You can customize it by editing the calculation.

6. Sample calculation using my calendula soap recipe.
sample calc.png

Since distilled water is very cheap for me I didn't include it in the calculation. If I used special liquid like milk, beer, aloe vera, etc, I will put its cost in with the additives.
So my base price for selling 1 bar of calendula soap will be 33.78. If someone want to buy the whole batch the base price will be 225.2 per batch.
I ended up decided to sell this soap at 36 since my olive oil was infused therefore took more effort.

That's it! If you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to let me know.

So my base price for selling 1 bar of calendula soap will be 33.78.

$33.78 for one bar of soap?!?

My cost for a single color, scented bar with packaging is $1.73. My recipe includes RSPO and 20% Butters. I sell at $5.00 (local market price).

Yeah, I'd say the calculations are off just a bit.

I use a combination of SM3 and my own spreadsheet I've made for my cost analysis'.

$33.78 for one bar of soap?!?

My cost for a single color, scented bar with packaging is $1.73. My recipe includes RSPO and 20% Butters. I sell at $5.00 (local market price).
😂😂. I saw that too but figured it was a different currency? 😬

I have stated that the calculator is in my local currency, not USD, which is why I told people to do their own calculation of oil price. It's a about 4-5 USD. 33 is a pretty normal price for my local soap market.

:) I think we ALL just kinda glossed over that part.
Sorry about that @Anstarx
No worries, mate! Probably should've made that part clearer in my original post to avoid confusion ;)
Uh, people, clearly @Anstarx is from Cloud Nine so of course it's going to be 33.78! :) Also, clearly I need to move there or at least visit. I'm thinking that it may be a pandemic-free zone there? Right? Please?:nodding: Yes?
Yep you totally should visit once traveling got easier! The weather's perfect, no virus allowed, and everyone loves soap!

In seriousness tho, I use the same username in other online communities and I've received some unprovoked and unwanted political debate recently, so I just changed my location in all my public profiles across the internet to Cloud Nine to save myself the hassles lol.

This is really handy! Thank you for sharing.
I tried to create a spreadsheet for myself a few months ago that would give me the price breakdown but it's less easy to use and I just realised I actually missed the lye and fragrance on mine. I'm happy you shared yours as it just makes more sense this way 😁

Back