A soap I bought and just unwrapped...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, well spotted!

I'm in the UK, I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read somewhere about labelling requirements and use by in the UK... even so, thinking about it, 2022 seems a long way off!

Update: I bought a bar of their aloe vera for my daughter too... She hadn't unwrapped it yet, so I just asked her to, and this also has weird lines on it... I'm going to email and attach the photos and Batch Numbers. The thing is, this company, it was founded by a qualified chemist, two soaps from different batches being sold with 'issues' is not good I think 😔

I would figure that a chemist would know better than to produce soaps like that. If that soap were to be sold in the states, I would be well past livid to say the least.

The minute I saw an expiration date I would stay far away from that soap. I have soap that I made over 10 years ago that looks and performs just as well as any of my currently made and cured soaps. Definitely looks rancid.
Thanks DeeAnna, I've used the soap this afternoon to clean my oven and oven racks, and I've 'used up' the brown bits - it hasn't gone all the way through... it's been relegated to household soap now!

Yep they are curing them on metal racks. I don't know what kind of place you bought it from but if able to leave a written review on a site, I would.
I bought it online from a small company in the UK, I'm going to email them first, give them a chance, but I won't be buying soap from them again! I won't need to anyway because I've started to make my own 😉 I might leave a review, depending on the outcome of the email... To be fair, I got a small hand cream too, and that seems ok, maybe she's just not very good with soap!

...but if able to leave a written review on a site, I would.

As a person who owns a small business and takes a lot of pride in the quality of my work, I must say I truly dislike it when a person leaves a bad review on a public site without contacting me first to resolve any dispute. If you don't get a decent resolution, then by all means leave a 1 star review or whatever. But only after you give the person a chance to make it right with you.

This policy is as much for the consumer's benefit as anything. If someone leaves a bad review and then wants me to fix the problem, there's no incentive for me to do more the minimum necessary to resolve the issue. If someone contacts me first with their problem, I am very likely to do a lot more to make sure they're 100% happy.

I do believe this soap maker started selling way before they were truly ready to sell. Just because a person has a chemistry degree doesn't mean they can make soap any better than any other beginner. Frankly, there is no excuse for this kind of rancidity in soap sold to the public. If the maker had taken a year or whatever to develop their manufacturing processes and evaluate the performance of their soap, they would have learned all about this problem BEFORE they started selling.

As a person who owns a small business and takes a lot of pride in the quality of my work, I must say I truly dislike it when a person leaves a bad review on a public site without contacting me first to resolve any dispute. If you don't get a decent resolution, then by all means leave a 1 star review or whatever. But only after you give the person a chance to make it right with you.

This policy is as much for the consumer's benefit as anything. If someone leaves a bad review and then wants me to fix the problem, there's no incentive for me to do more the minimum necessary to resolve the issue. If someone contacts me first with their problem, I am very likely to do a lot more to make sure they're 100% happy.

I do believe this soap maker started selling way before they were truly ready to sell. Just because a person has a chemistry degree doesn't mean they can make soap any better than any other beginner. Frankly, there is no excuse for this kind of rancidity in soap sold to the public. If the maker had taken a year or whatever to develop their manufacturing processes and evaluate the performance of their soap, they would have learned all about this problem BEFORE they started selling.
I can understand your pov but as a customer I detest buying fault products and then having to take extra steps to correct them. Also this seller doesn't seem to put the care into their product as a business person should. I don't think it's any unexpected mishap that they are curing on metal racks.

Most times when I leave a review and what has happened has been an honest mistake or simple mishap, I don't leave bad reviews.

If you only want to express your unhappiness to the world at large, I can appreciate that writing a bad review will accomplish that goal.

Good morning soapy friends!

I just unwrapped a cp soap that I recently bought (photos attached of each side of the soap). Does anyone know what the markings are please, I presume the soap is absolutely fine to use...

The soap was wrapped in greaseproof paper, with the shiny side to the soap.

The label lists the ingredients as:

Sodium cocoate
Sodium olivate
Sodium hempseedate
Sodium beeswaxate
Patchouli oil
Ground hempseed

Expiry date: 01/2022

Thanks in advance for your input! 🥰
Not only are those dreaded orange spots - but that label is hilarious. Totally wrong. The INCI for Hemp Oil is: Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil, The INCI for beeswax is: Sera Alba CAS, or just Beeswax. They are totally making names up!

Last edited:

We would do the same when we had our site. If a customer gave us a chance to correct a problem we would go over and above fixing it. They always receive an apology gift.

If you only want to express your unhappiness to the world at large, I can appreciate that writing a bad review will accomplish that goal.
I'm sorry you see me that way and this certainly feels like an attack. It is not how I view the world. I do however feel it would help other customers make better decisions on their purchases.

Not only are those dreaded orange spots - but that label is hilarious. Totally wrong. The INCI for Hemp Oil is: Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil, The INCI for beeswax is: Sera Alba CAS, or just Beeswax. They are totally making names up!
Actually that's correct. It's the INCI for the saponified oils; they're labelling the ingredients coming out of the pot, not the ingredients before saponification.

https://www.saffireblue.ca/resource-centre/inci-terms-for-saponified-oils/

@Misschief Well...what do you know! Learn something new here every day! Is that a correct way or at least an option for listing ingredients? I’ve seen some labels list as “saponified oils of xxx”. I guess to avoid listing lye?
I use the INCI names of the saponified oils on my soaps, generally speaking. You either list what goes into the pot, including the lye, or what comes out of the pot, the saponified oils.

I would not use it. I would send photos and request your money back. Explain to the owner that curing her soaps on metal racks is a VERY bad idea because aluminum and lye don't mix. Whether it is Hot Process or Cold Process, it takes a little bit for the lye to be fully used it up.

The soap itself is high in Coconut Oil, my guess is somewhere around 40%.....WAAAAAAY too much unless you are making a specialty soap.

The expiration date could have to do with UK requirements for bath products, though I have never heard of soap having that requirement.

@Misschief Well...what do you know! Learn something new here every day! Is that a correct way or at least an option for listing ingredients? I’ve seen some labels list as “saponified oils of xxx”. I guess to avoid listing lye?
Saying Saponified oils of xxx is not proper. But listing as Misschief mentions above is acceptable at least in the US I do not know about the UK.

When you get a product safety assessed, part of the assessment covers what should be on the label inc ingredients and so, assuming a seller reads it correctly the label should show ingredients in accordance with uk law.

However, there are some exceptions mainly where people don't get an assessment done (which is illegal) and think they understand how to label. One other anomaly are soapers who had assessments done before 2013 (I think ) have way more freedom but you would hope they would know how to label and not cure in metal racks!

Good morning soapy friends!

I just unwrapped a cp soap that I recently bought (photos attached of each side of the soap). Does anyone know what the markings are please, I presume the soap is absolutely fine to use...

The soap was wrapped in greaseproof paper, with the shiny side to the soap.

The label lists the ingredients as:

Sodium cocoate
Sodium olivate
Sodium hempseedate
Sodium beeswaxate
Patchouli oil
Ground hempseed

Expiry date: 01/2022

Thanks in advance for your input! 🥰
Hi all, just an update about the yucky soap and the soap with the lines.. I emailed the company and sent photos - they have replied with an apology and a full refund for both soaps

Just make sure to bang the mold down good next time you have a batter that thick.
Thank you, although I'm not actually sure whose the post and pics are of the soap with bubbles - somehow my phone has likely copied/pasted someone else's post from a thread I was reading... it's definitely not my soap, I don't even have a proper mould yet ( 😭 ) but good to know how to get rid of bubbles anyway - I love this forum, everyone's so helpful and knowledgeable! 😊 x

Latest posts

Back