A soap as a drug? From a local soap maker.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophiayun

Reaction score
Hello dear soap makers
My son has a severe eczema and I recently received a gift for my son.

It is very thankful but, the soap doesn't mention any ingredients list, just says something like this soap is good for several skin conditions.

So I went into their website to find out more about the ingredients, hmmm...
But their website doesn't have anything about ingredients, and saying the owner started making soaps for her family using vitamin water, and skin conditions got so better, bla bla bla.

I want to ask you that if this is all possible for a soap? Isn't this against FDA regulations?

To be honest, I think they are using MP soap base, and just add some herbal additives.

If what they clam is true and it is possible to make a soap with some active ingredient, like a drug for skin condition, can anyone tell me how to achieve that? Maybe I can add... 5-10%? Of herbal powder?

Even with hot process soaps, I think soaps are soaps. Hmmm... I am not sure what makes this local soap maker believe her soaps can cure skin diseases. If so, I would love to know.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20211101_203843.jpg
    MVIMG_20211101_203843.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 65
  • MVIMG_20211101_203846.jpg
    MVIMG_20211101_203846.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 65
  • MVIMG_20211101_203859.jpg
    MVIMG_20211101_203859.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 61
  • MVIMG_20211101_203911.jpg
    MVIMG_20211101_203911.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 59
Isn't this against FDA regulations?

If it was a US company...yes. But this isn't a US soap maker, it's Korean...hence all the Korean writing on the brochures and website. Despite it saying California USA on the website, the company is not a California company though it was registered in December 2015 and Dissolved March 2016. The house the business was registered at was a rental during that period. The soap is most likely being shipped directly from Korea.

Not sure I would want to use any soap that claims it can cure athlete's foot and female disease .

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot the FDA can do as the company isn't on US soil.

If what they clam is true and it is possible to make a soap with some active ingredient, like a drug for skin condition, can anyone tell me how to achieve that? Maybe I can add... 5-10%? Of herbal powder?

Yes it is, but the soap would need to be tested and you would need to be licensed by the FDA in order to legally sell it.

Eczema can be caused by different things...an overactive immune system, genetics, environment and stress. The reason why artisan soap works so well on folks with skin conditions is simply because it doesn't contain a lot of chemicals or strip the skin, it is a balance of fatty acids that help restore the natural PH balance of your skin. And when your skin feels nice, you feel nice.

I am of the firm opinion that not much survives the lye bath. If you want to add other ingredients to MP, well then you get to worry about what is in the MP. If you want to add it to HP, go for it. However, since soap is a wash off product, maybe you would be better served by adding it to a lotion?

I have always said that it is not what is in my hand made soap that fixed my eczema (and my daughter's, I recently learned), but what is not in it.

I think this company is in United States. It's just not in English, they are in California.
Hmmm

However, since soap is a wash off product, maybe you would be better served by adding it to a lotion?

I have always said that it is not what is in my hand made soap that fixed my eczema (and my daughter's, I recently learned), but what is not in it.
That is exactly what I have known and believed. Pheww.

I don't know how these people can claim the cure of diseases. :(

I think this company is in United States. It's just not in English, they are in California.

I'll say this again: "But this isn't a US soap maker, it's Korean...hence all the Korean writing on the brochures and website. Despite it saying California USA on the website, the company is not a California company though it was registered in December 2015 and Dissolved March 2016. The house the business was registered at was a rental during that period. The soap is most likely being shipped directly from Korea."

Just so we are clear here I am not being xenophobic, but I wasn't always a kindly grandmother is who knits, makes soap and follows 90% of traffic laws

Ahhhh... But even though the soaps are imported from Korea, they are still required to follow FDA regulations since the sales occur in United States, right?

No offense to any Korean people, I'm native Korean too. It's just... I cannot believe these people put out that 'cure for diseases' card to sell their soaps!

That even is against the law for cosmetic in South Korea.

Ahhhh... But even though the soaps are imported from Korea, they are still required to follow FDA regulations since the sales occur in United States, right?

No offense to any Korean people, I'm native Korean too. It's just... I cannot believe these people put out that 'cure for diseases' card to sell their soaps!

That even is against the law for cosmetic in South Korea.

Yes...exactly. It's not where it starts, it's where it ends up. While my soaps are legal for sale in the US, they would not be legal for sale in the EU.

In the US, afaik, the sale takes place where the goods physically reside at the time of the sale. So if this product is dropshipped from Korea, that's where the sale takes place. Unless they have a physical store stateside or do a big % of their sales in the US, they're not doing business here.

Interesting loophole.

What matters, to my mind at least, is... has the soap helped your son's eczema?
Haha not really. It was too soft and I could see the soap was just melting away at one time use. Definitely MP soaps with some herbal additives. :( Not worth $15.

The thing is the company is in United States, soaps are sold from their location, not dropshipped from Korea.

The owner said she made them in US, claim these soaps are made in USA. Um. I don't want to get involved anymore. Pheww... I am not sure if the soap bases are from Korea hahaha

Last edited:
My husband has both eczema and psoriasis. The soaps that work best for him are high lard, low CO, a bit of neem oil, and some castor oil. I also add colloidal oats, but make sure that agrees with your son's skin before trying it. Here's the latest iteration of the recipe I typically make for him:

65% lard
15% CO
15% neem oil
5% castor oil
1 T ppo colloidal oats
1 T ppo powdered goat milk
Aloe vera juice as 100% of water

This is what works for him after a fair amount of experimenting. I'd encourage you to start with a 100% lard soap for your son, with no color, fragrance, or other additives. Let them cure at least 8 weeks. You won't have abundant lather; it will be more like a creamy lotion.

If that works, you can either stick with that, or start adding a titch of coconut oil to get more lather, or try one additive at a time to see how his skin reacts. I do recommend using aloe vera juice instead of distilled water, as that will increase the bubbles.

Whatever route you go, I hope you do find something that works for your son!

Last edited:
I've shared this before but I'll bore readers again. I got into making cold process soap because it was a creative outlet. I was really pleasantly surprised that my skin has never been healthier. I've been rashy all my life (not serious but irritating as all get out) and tried every over the counter and prescription lotions and potions. I used to apply a prescription several times per day -- and now I need it several times per year.

My skin improved even more once I started making lotion bars too.

Years ago I made melt and pour soap but found it too drying.

Good luck with your son, hope he improves soon.

My husband has both eczema and psoriasis. The soaps that work best for him are high lard, low CO, a bit of neem oil, and some castor oil. I also add colloidal oats, but make sure that agrees with your son's skin before trying it. Here's the latest iteration of the recipe I typically make for him:

65% lard
15% CO
15% neem oil
5% castor oil
1 T ppo colloidal oats
1 T ppo powdered goat milk
Aloe vera juice as 100% of water

This is what works for him after a fair amount of experimenting. I'd encourage you to start with a 100% lard soap for your son, with no color, fragrance, or other additives. Let them cure at least 8 weeks. You won't have abundant lather; it will be more like a creamy lotion.

If that works, you can either stick with that, or start adding a titch of coconut oil to get more lather, or try one additive at a time to see how his skin reacts. I do recommend using aloe vera juice instead of distilled water, as that will increase the bubbles.

Whatever route you go, I hope you do find something that works for your son!
What a find! Thank you for this post and your recipe @AliOop!!! I just read about aloe vera and received my powdered goat milk and colloidal oats two days ago so I could make goat milk and oatmeal soap again. I don’t have Neem oil, so I will have to substitute safflower oil, but otherwise your recipe is similar to one I made years ago that a dear friend loved. Unfortunately, I couldn’t remember and did not record how much powdered goat milk and powdered colloidal oats I used. Guess what I will be making tonight??? 😊

I'd encourage you to start with a 100% lard soap for your son, with no color, fragrance, or other additives.
Good advice. :thumbup: :thumbup: Lard soap for whatever skin issues is my first choice. I make it with 10% coconut oil and 5% castor (for lather) for a geezer pal who loves it. Reminds him of his childhood. My friend, Nancy-the-Nurse had a mother who was a neonatal nurse -- probably back in the 30's or earlier I'm guessing. She said they used lard to clean the newborns back then. ;)

What superfat do you use?
Any where between 0-5% SF. It all depends on what oils are in the batch. When designing a new recipe, I start with the default settings on SoapCalc.net. Then tweak as needed for each batch after that. If you're asking about the lard soap, I'm doing that at 0% SF currently.

TIP: It's best to put an "@" in front of the name when calling attention to another member to insure they get notification. For example: @gww . ;)

Zany
I saw you mention the @ thing in a different thread but was in no emergency and had faith you would see it. It is a good thing to know for when I get in panic mode sometime which I am sure will happen during this new thing I am doing.
Thank you for your answer.
Cheers
gww

Latest posts

Back