A Silly Error Caused By Several Issues...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49910

Reaction score
Okay, time to make more liquid soap, this time using high oleic sunflower oil due to being out of light olive oil. Using the 2/3 lye water 1/3 glycerin process with adjustments made for said process.

Go to the Soapmaking Friend calculator to adjust the recipe to using HO Sunflower Oil, all is well and begin the process:
Little to my knowledge, three issues caused a slight FUBAR to occur; Adult ADD, Advanced Gray Cell Deterioration, and Alien Implant đź‘˝

1. Paste after tracing and beginning the cook process.
IMG_20210409_133714.jpg

2. Dilution process goes very well and results in a clear soap... then I added the fragrance oil and Polysorbate 80 to the batch:
IMG_20210410_072858.jpg

3. RATS! Foiled again! Go look at print out of recipe... Ooops! I forgot to change the Super fat percentage to ZERO. Accidentally left it at 5%, which is the default setting. Even though when I diluted it it was crystal clear... must have been due to the high oleic content of the oils used.

REMEDY: I took the difference in grams between the 5% super fat calculation and the 0% super fat. Difference was 6.2 grams of KOH, which I dissolved in 12.4 grams of distilled water and added it to the cloudy concoction. Placed it in a water bath and brought it to a temperature of about 180° F and held for about an hour.

Net Result is this:
IMG_20210411_091721.jpg

Breathe a somewhat exasperated sigh of relief and now will let this sequester for the obligatory two weeks and see what happens!

I do believe this will resolve things but time will tell.

My goal with this recipe is to create a bubbly, yet conditioning liquid soap with a somewhat creamy lather.

recipe properties.png

Last edited:
Curious to hear how this turns out, please update with results.
I've found that sunflower lathers better in bar soap than OO, might be really nice in your liquid

"...REMEDY: I took the difference in grams between the 5% super fat calculation and the 0% super fat. ..."

Well done, Prof. Exactly what I would have done. Looks like it's working well -- good for you!

Back