A recent Life Event soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All these “butterfly”/Rorschach fold-open views of pairs of soap bars are stunning – by far my absolute favourite is the bottom right photo: the re-composed bars. Like a tiny metaphor that things fit together and find their place if one just lets them, and all makes some kind of sense from a more distant perspective. Be it as untidy and against all conventions as it wants. 🤪🤗

One question to your “non-approved colorants for soap”: Does this mean that it's dangerous pigments, or just that they weren't specifically sold as CP-safe, and worst that can happen is that they discolour/fade in weird ways?

Wow, in the upper right I actually see the beauty of a hummer with the boldness of a whale. Bottom left I see the serenity of a floating Duck. So beautiful. I am sure your brother is now enjoying the peace he has long waited to enjoy.

🤫
…the prominent greyhounds in the middle soaps of the lower row, and the conceited seagulls at the top left.

So many things to discover there – but everyone is left alone with the awareness that these illusions are mere mirrors of our own subconsciousness.

One question to your “non-approved colorants for soap”: Does this mean that it's dangerous pigments, or just that they weren't specifically sold as CP-safe, and worst that can happen is that they discolour/fade in weird ways?

U.S. regulations regarding soap are different than most of the rest of the world, so keep that in mind when reading my answer:

Non-approved in terms of not on the US regulatory approved list of color additives for external use (non-food) (FDA).

Although approved for other specific uses, and are (advertised) non-toxic when used as intended, they are considered inappropriate for use in cosmetics. Although true soap is not regulated as closely as cosmetics in the US, my personal belief is that they should be and therefore I normally choose to avoid color additives that would not be allowed in cosmetics or food (even though no-one should eat soap, sometimes it happens, so I try to keep that in mind also.)

In spite of the fact that because I do not market my soap, and am therefore exempt from adhering to the Consumer Products Safety Commission's regulations (as regards soap) AND the Federal Trade Commission's labeling regulations, I still normally attempt to follow those regulations as closely as if I were.

So in that regard, this particular soap would not be acceptable to share with anyone else without full disclosure.

@earlene , thank you for sharing your story and explaining your feelings while making this soap. It’s beautiful. As others have said, so many of us have stories but you took it to a whole different level of expression . I can see how you described your brother in that soap. Pretty amazing. I know you’re a nurse too, so the left and right side of your brain shows in your thoughts. ❤️

Back