A question of color: strawberry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At the request of one of my soap testers (a holdover from the 60's hippie generation), I will next be making some strawberry scented soap. (I'm placing it in this sub-forum because eventually there will be pictures.)

I am wondering about the color. Obviously it will involve some red. Should I make the whole slab red? Or should I do an ITP swirl with a white base and a red accent? A pink base and red accents?

And for you out-of-the-box thinkers, maybe something else?

And, as usual, thanks for any suggestions! 🙃

Tomato purée for the whole batter. Split it up for ITP: 60% stays plain red, 30% get some pink/magenta + a tad of white, and throw some poppy seeds into the last 10% (or sprinkle them on the top).
ETA: Can't find the very soap I was originally looking for (gosh, SMF folks are TOO MUCH into tomato 😂), that I remembered had a vibrant strawberry-like colour. But this one comes reasonably close.

(/uj It's naïve to reply to such threads so quickly. Whatever happens, it'll take at least two days anyway until we get to see something in the end. You get off with the work, we are left with mere impatience. That's not fair.)

Last edited:
I like the pink-white-red color scheme, but I'd go mostly pink, a bit less or even amounts white, and red as the accent. That sounds nice and retro strawberry smoothy to me. 🤤

Last edited:
I would not do a whole soap red personally, because in my hard water area, I worry about red soap scum (I do use EDTA). I would try a structured/uniform way to add red though, because random swirls can quickly produce meat soap.
Which fragrance are you using? I used strawberry kiwi recently and like most Strawberry fragrances, it moves quickly, so that might affect your design.

Soap Queen's Strawberry & Cream CP

Strawberry & Cream Soap.jpg

Tomato purée for the whole batter.
FWIW: I went through a "Tomato Soap" phase a long time ago. Tomato is said to be very good for the complexion. And it was, from that stand point. Unfortunately, the soap was more brown than strawberry/red. Interestingly, to get a tomato scent, I mixed an herbal FO with a strawberry FO.

I rediscovered said tomato thread: Tomato and basil
Not quite as fire-extinguisher red as I had it in mind, but lovely in any case (and little chance to mix it up with messy roadkill).

Should you decide to go for green-in-red, then let's hope neither of your colourants bleeds.

Back