A question about Boar fat, boar lard.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevenaeakin

Reaction score
Has anybody used Boar fat? I know that will have testosterone smell through it. I really just wondered if anybody had used it, I was able to clean it and remove the smell before use? I have been offered this and I don't want to necessarily use it until I find out if it's usable? I know this isn't possibly right thread page but I hoped Deeanna might see it. I'm sorry but I'm not very good at using the site. Thank you in advance to anybody who can help.

It's just at the that will have the smell from the testosterone when it gets heated, the meat gets the smell and I'm just not so sure about the lard

Excuse my question (I'm Italian so maybe what I ask is banal), are you speaking of male domestic pig or wild boar?
If it's pig, I would consider it just normal lard but if it's wild boar the fatty acid profile of the fat could be slightly different and so your soap could behave a little differently then you expect.
I'm not sure about this, just wondering. And anyway, I don't think it would be a huge difference

Excuse my question (I'm Italian so maybe what I ask is banal), are you speaking of male domestic pig or wild boar?
If it's pig, I would consider it just normal lard but if it's wild boar the fatty acid profile of the fat could be slightly different and so your soap could behave a little differently then you expect.
I'm not sure about this, just wondering. And anyway, I don't think it would be a huge difference
I'm waiting for an answer about the same question I will let you know the answer when I get it. Thank you for your input I was thinking a similar thing.

I've never eaten a boar, wild or domestic so I'm not sure what you mean by testosterone smell. Is that the gamey scent that most wild animal meat has?

I was given bear fat this year that was terribly smelly, it rendered out really nice and scent free so I say its worth trying your boar fat.
You could render a small amount, see how well it cleans.

I'm waiting for an answer about the same question I will let you know the answer when I get it. Thank you for your input I was thinking a similar thing.

I think @AliOop answered your question and was confirmed by @cmzaha that since boars are in the pig family that you would treat it the same as lard when making soap.

I hunt and I’ve killed and eaten several wild boar and sows. Wild pigs have very little fat. Sometimes the sows will, and the boar may have a little in the winter. And, the fat tastes fine. Unless you’re chasing them with dogs first, which I don’t do, they just go down. Don’t nick their glands when you’re gutting and skinning and the meat is sweat and complex and delicious. And, what little fat there is will be fine.

I hunt and I’ve killed and eaten several wild boar and sows. Wild pigs have very little fat. Sometimes the sows will, and the boar may have a little in the winter. And, the fat tastes fine. Unless you’re chasing them with dogs first, which I don’t do, they just go down. Don’t nick their glands when you’re gutting and skinning and the meat is sweat and complex and delicious. And, what little fat there is will be fine.
Not expecting to do this anytime in the near future but its nice to know there's handy info from a reputable source about it in the forum haha.

I've never eaten a boar, wild or domestic so I'm not sure what you mean by testosterone smell. Is that the gamey scent that most wild animal meat has?

I was given bear fat this year that was terribly smelly, it rendered out really nice and scent free so I say its worth trying your boar fat.
You could render a small amount, see how well it cleans.
If it was a boy bear the answer is probably yes and yes I'm going to do that thanks for your feedback

If it was a boy bear the answer is probably yes and yes I'm going to do that thanks for your feedback
One of my favorite soaps is used bacon grease! We triple “wash” it by simmering it with water 3 times. You can find directions for cleaning bacon grease online. That may be good to do in addition to rendering, if it still has smell.

My folks save bacon grease all year, then made soap in the fall. I was a kid, no idea how, but it was a nice brown laundry soap. Worked fine for washing off gardening dirt, etc.

One of my favorite soaps is used bacon grease! We triple “wash” it by simmering it with water 3 times. You can find directions for cleaning bacon grease online. That may be good to do in addition to rendering, if it still has smell.
Thanks Tasha I I already thought that I would clean it about six times

Thanks Tasha I I already thought that I would clean it about six times
You probably don’t need to do it more than a couple of times. the water bath simmer will clean any impurities well, and the saponification and cure will get rid of the rest. Have you already rendered the fat completely and it has a smell? Or are you smelling the fat mixed with other parts?

You probably don’t need to do it more than a couple of times. the water bath simmer will clean any impurities well, and the saponification and cure will get rid of the rest. Have you already rendered the fat completely and it has a smell? Or are you smelling the fat mixed with other parts?
Hi Tasha I don't have the fat yet I'm too busy getting ready for my first market so I asked him to keep it in the freezer but I'll let you know how I go

Hi Tasha, I don't actually have the fat yet I've asked him to keep it in the freezer I'm too busy getting ready for my first market. And I'll let you know how I go

Back