A pleasant surprise

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I soaped with NG's Amazing Grace dupe. I had a simple white with pink spoon swirls planned and when I mixed in the fragrance my batter went yellow. Really yellow. I did not remember reading this would discolor soap but oh well, stuff happens and I thought maybe it was my oils.
This morning when I uncovered it my soap is white :D
No yellow at all. So happy!
Soap always surprises me. Sometimes in good ways, sometimes not so good, but I quess the surprises are part of the fun!

Whew! What a relief, isn't it? Soap does do some surprising thing...especially when we think we're getting so skilled that we can predict the outcome.

I once had a soap - BB Kumquat, NSS orange vibrance used for gradient, the soap gelled and the colors went super dark and bright on the outside of the soap, and the inside went very pale - almost colorless! But slowly, after about 10 days it had all changed back to normal. Weird! :crazy:

that is the nature of some colorants and additives , they react to lye in strange ways. that is the main reason why you find a lot of soap makers testing and experimenting with small batches to gauge the outcome of some FO - EO - additives. and sometimes results differ from one soap maker to another . I'm glad that your soap color came back to its white hue . btw, you are right about the beautiful surprises in soap making.

I had the same kind of thing happen to my last batch. My aim was to end up with a medium blue soap and it turned as deeply green as pine needles upon adding my FO, but after gelling overnight, it went back to the beautiful blue I was aiming for (thankfully!).

IrishLass :)

Back