A plea for help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll try to make a long story short. I have a friend who is a cancer survivor, and is also a part owner of a thoroughbred. Every year our local race track has a "Fillies Race for Hope" fund raising event for The Hope Chest. When I saw her last winter, we talked about the possibility of my putting together a basket for the silent auction. Through a series of messages not seen, an event coordinator who didn't follow up with me once he had the contact information, and finally hearing from her over the weekend (my kids were in town and I had NO spare time) that she would still love to have the basket (she has her own silent auction apart from the main event in a separate room). Fortunately, I went ahead and made 4 kinds of soap so I have those, but would like to include something else as well.

Here is the problem. I've dabbled (dibbled) in lotion making, but am in no way confident enough to include that. So I tried making this whipped body butter, subbing jojoba for the rice bran oil and mango and shea for the mowrah butter. It whipped up perfectly and was soft and creamy. After 20 minutes it was more like the texture of soft cream cheese, and now is a bit harder than that. Is this normal for whipped body butter? It melts and spreads easily, so maybe it is what it is supposed to be?

For the basket, I'm including 3 bars each of 4 soaps and trying to keep things horsey related they are Apple Rose, Oats and Honey - honey almond scented, Gingered Carrot with carrot puree, and Carriage Ride which is a light floral and her horse is named Carriage. I'll put in a nice towel and a rose shaped scrubbie and 2 moon cake pressed salt cakes. Any other ideas? I'd rather not do a lotion bar because I don't have good packaging for it.

If anyone has any ideas for me, please help me out. I really want this to be special for her event.

SoapQueen has a recipe for a sugar cube scrub with m&p. Super easy to make (but filled my parents bathroom with ants, an issue every summer regardless). Do you have any lip balms, liquid soap, or “soap2go”? Maybe you can find a themed pair of spa socks (the aloe infused fluffy things) or a loofa? Maybe a hand sanitizer to coordinate with the soap scents (elements bath and body has a nice base but shipping is a bit much). The Crafters Choice lotion bases are really nice, if I remember the sampler was 5 types of 1/8 gal sizes for $30-40 fromWSP. There’s more than enough for you to sample before you decide what would work for the event

An emulsified sugar scrub, or cubes is a good idea. I forgot to mention that the event is on Sunday, so no time to order anything. I have some Mint Julep flavor oil that I used for lip scrubs at Christmas. If it's sweet on it's own, a lip balm is an idea. I think I have some little jars somewhere...maybe I should just look for a little candle and call it a day. Thanks for the ideas.

I have a recipe for a Epsom salt scrub using M&P. I will be glad to give you the recipe if you pm me.:)

As long as it melts easily on the skin, your body butter is fine. The friction of the whipping generates heat, so the body butter is always a bit softer right after you finish it.

Do you know any knitters or crocheters? They could whip up a quick washcloth for you.

ETA: Maybe an oatmeal tub tea?

As long as it melts easily on the skin, your body butter is fine. The friction of the whipping generates heat, so the body butter is always a bit softer right after you finish it.

Do you know any knitters or crocheters? They could whip up a quick washcloth for you.

ETA: Maybe an oatmeal tub tea?

Thank you - I needed the reassurance about the body butter. I'll look into a tub tea too!

An emulsified sugar scrub, or cubes is a good idea. I forgot to mention that the event is on Sunday, so no time to order anything. I have some Mint Julep flavor oil that I used for lip scrubs at Christmas. If it's sweet on it's own, a lip balm is an idea. I think I have some little jars somewhere...maybe I should just look for a little candle and call it a day. Thanks for the ideas.

If you pm me or email me today by 4pm CDT I could 2-day you rose scented sugar scrub cubes and a rose/chamomile lip balm that I already I made. I made them for an event in May and then that event was cancelled, so I have them sitting packaged and ready to go (I just don't have my label on them as I just changed my logo)
[email protected]

If you pm me or email me today by 4pm CDT I could 2-day you rose scented sugar scrub cubes and a rose/chamomile lip balm that I already I made. I made them for an event in May and then that event was cancelled, so I have them sitting packaged and ready to go (I just don't have my label on them as I just changed my logo)
[email protected]

Very kind of you, thank you.

I want to thank everyone who responded with ideas and offers of help. This forum has the most generous and caring members, and my heart is truly overflowing with appreciation. I think I will be able to fill up a nice gift box for this event, and now will switch to hoping it gets at least one bid. I'll post a picture when I get everything together.

Just a bit of labeling to finish, but here is the gift box. I went with a little smaller box than I originally planned, mainly because I ended up remelting the whipped butter. I just didn't like the texture, and this reduced the volume by quite a bit. I'm just going to call it a butter balm. Fortunately it didn't get grainy. Thanks again for all the help with this :)
IMG_20180602_175853.jpg

Latest posts

Back