A new soaper from Rajasthan India

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morningdew

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I very recently came to know about soap making and it very much intrigued me into trying my hand at this new hobby. it was also because I have extremely dry skin and no matter which brand soap I use it just makes my skin very dry. So, I thought of making my own soap. Although I have not figured out which is best recipe for my dry skin but I yeah I am willing to learn. I have made four batches of 500g soap since January and waiting for them to cure and test on my body. My recipe was 45% OOP, 30% CO, 5% castor oil, 10% Shea butter and 10% sunflower oil. I experimented with some natural colorants in these 4 batches, like using indigo, turmeric, orange peel powder, moringa powder. I am hoping to learn from your all experiences and seek guidance from you all to make my soapy journey I even more wonderful. And ya just to mention I am soapmaking with my little toddler. Taking care of my little one full time and then getting some time in between to soap. I am also looking for guidance on reliable and authentic soap making tools and oil suppliers in India.

Welcome Morning Dew to the world of making soap. Can't really help with your recipe as am too new to soaping (one year.) Recipe sounds very good to me. Have you put it into a soaping calculator to understand the more scientific aspects such as how much fatty acids your finished soap will contain? Things such as myristic, palmitic, oleic, stearic, etc it will have? All of the fatty acids make a difference in how your soap will be on your skin.

I know of one supplier in India and have had positive experience purchasing. However do not think they offer small quantities. I wanted something very expensive in the USA and Anushka offered it at a much lower cost as long as I purchased a larger amount (it was Blue Tansy and it is marvelous. I use for perfume, balms, and other items but not for soap-too costly.) Here is their info:
Anushka Fragrancia
F-2, 178-179, First Floor Sector -16
Rohini Delhi, Delhi (NCT) 110089 India

Please let us know how your soap turns out. All the best!

Welcome Morning Dew to the world of making soap. Can't really help with your recipe as am too new to soaping (one year.) Recipe sounds very good to me. Have you put it into a soaping calculator to understand the more scientific aspects such as how much fatty acids your finished soap will contain? Things such as myristic, palmitic, oleic, stearic, etc it will have? All of the fatty acids make a difference in how your soap will be on your skin.

I know of one supplier in India and have had positive experience purchasing. However do not think they offer small quantities. I wanted something very expensive in the USA and Anushka offered it at a much lower cost as long as I purchased a larger amount (it was Blue Tansy and it is marvelous. I use for perfume, balms, and other items but not for soap-too costly.) Here is their info:
Anushka Fragrancia

Thank you for the quick response. I did check it on soap calc and it’s cleaning value came out to be 20. And after a few post on this forum I have learned that cleaning value around 12-14 is sufficient for a gentle bar. So that means I have reduce coconut oil and increase some hard oils or animal fats. I am making animal fat free soap so lard and tallow are out of question. Then remains palm oil which is not very sustainably sourced so that is also goes out. Remaining are the cocoa butter which is very expensive in India, mango and kokum butter although expensive but not as much as cocoa. So I guess I have figure out a recipe with these.
Also a true check will be after I use my bars which is not until early March so let’s see how do I feel them.
I will check with your supplier and see what all do they offer. They may sell smaller package as it’s within India.

Anushka Fragrancia

It would be nice if you share your soapy journey. How has this one year of being a soap maker worked for you? How much enthusiastic are your family and friends for your soap bars? How did you plan your journey like how many soap batches you made, what are your plans for future?
I have already made 2kg of soap in just one month. Soap making is very addictive creative hobby. But I feel it’s also expensive a bit. So I don’t know how should I move ahead with my soapy journey.

Welcome!
I have already made 2kg of soap in just one month. Soap making is very addictive creative hobby. But I feel it’s also expensive a bit. So I don’t know how should I move ahead with my soapy journey.
Make small test batches of 450g. :) That way, you get the fun of making soap but only end up with four bars, instead of 10-12. And when too many have piled up, donate them to relief society or shelter, if that is allowed under your country's laws.

It would be nice if you share your soapy journey. How has this one year of being a soap maker worked for you? How much enthusiastic are your family and friends for your soap bars? How did you plan your journey like how many soap batches you made, what are your plans for future?
Ahhh it is a journey isn't it! I started making soap because I had an amount of oils & butters to use up before they went spoiled. Was making bath bombs, hair shampoo bars, and balms but had ordered too many butters and oils and did not want them to spoil. Friends & family seem to like the soap and are good with feedback. My favorite recipes so far are salt soap (Mildly Exfoliating Salt Soap Bar Recipe), chamomile soap (Natural & Handmade Soap Book by Sarah Harper), and a Triple butter soap (angelapalmer.com) Also I absolutely love soap made with beeswax (Soap with Beeswax and Honey (Cold Process Tutorial)). Have added 2% through 6% and the bars become very hard and last a very long time. So far it is a hobby however am considering having a business with bath bombs and balms so perhaps would add a very small selection of soaps. There is a cocoa butter supplier in Ecuador that ships to USA and Europe. I would ask them about shipping to India for you. They have cocoa butter for soap making 2.25kg or 5 lbs for $26 USA dollars plus shipping. Shipping for 5 lbs was very reasonable. I order from them and their quality is outstanding. Here is a link: Cacao Butter for Cosmetics / Candles / Soap
Have you checked out this supplier? Pure Essential Oils | Melt and Pour Soap Base | Soap Making Supplies
Have you considered making soap from Gee (butter based gee) Not sure if that is feasible as it is an animal product.
Yes soap making can be expensive but making small batches is the best way to learn w/o going bankrupt.
Also if olive oil is not too expensive consider making an all olive oil bar On this website is. ZANY’S NO SLIME OLIVE OIL CASTILE. Ingredients: Olive oil, water, sea salt, sodium bicarbonate Zany_in_CO

Ahhh it is a journey isn't it! I started making soap because I had an amount of oils & butters to use up before they went spoiled. Was making bath bombs, hair shampoo bars, and balms but had ordered too many butters and oils and did not want them to spoil. Friends & family seem to like the soap and are good with feedback. My favorite recipes so far are salt soap (Mildly Exfoliating Salt Soap Bar Recipe), chamomile soap (Natural & Handmade Soap Book by Sarah Harper), and a Triple butter soap (angelapalmer.com) Also I absolutely love soap made with beeswax (Soap with Beeswax and Honey (Cold Process Tutorial)). Have added 2% through 6% and the bars become very hard and last a very long time. So far it is a hobby however am considering having a business with bath bombs and balms so perhaps would add a very small selection of soaps. There is a cocoa butter supplier in Ecuador that ships to USA and Europe. I would ask them about shipping to India for you. They have cocoa butter for soap making 2.25kg or 5 lbs for $26 USA dollars plus shipping. Shipping for 5 lbs was very reasonable. I order from them and their quality is outstanding. Here is a link: Cacao Butter for Cosmetics / Candles / Soap
Have you checked out this supplier? Pure Essential Oils | Melt and Pour Soap Base | Soap Making Supplies
Have you considered making soap from Gee (butter based gee) Not sure if that is feasible as it is an animal product.
Yes soap making can be expensive but making small batches is the best way to learn w/o going bankrupt.
Also if olive oil is not too expensive consider making an all olive oil bar On this website is. ZANY’S NO SLIME OLIVE OIL CASTILE. Ingredients: Olive oil, water, sea salt, sodium bicarbonate Zany_in_CO
Hi, sorry for late response. The week started on a very busy note. I will surely look at the cocoa butter source that you have mentioned. It is good to know about how came into soapy world. Having a pre sinkcare business does give some confidence. I am yet to check all the recipes that you have mentioned.
On the other note I was wondering that in place for looking for replacements for plam oil are we not over exploiting the African cocoa and shea butter industries? Soon, even these butters will do into plam like zone to source sustainabilly. And more than handmade industry is it not the commercial food and cosmetics industries that are exploiting palm oil. And all the burden of not using palm oil and being sustainable falls on handmade soaps.

My recipe was 45% OOP, 30% CO, 5% castor oil, 10% Shea butter and 10% sunflower oil.
OOP? Olive Oil Pomace? If so, that's what I use. :thumbs:

I have extremely dry skin and no matter which brand soap I use it just makes my skin very dry.
That's exactly why I started making soap in 2004. 😁

Best recipes to try using the oils you have listed:

ZANY'S NO SLIME CASTILE
Either 100% OO or, my personal favorite variation, 85% OO, 10% CO, 5% Castor.

BASIC TRINITY OF OILS
35% Olive Oil
20% Coconut Oil
40% Shea Butter
(Sub for palm)

NOTE: As much as I like using High Oleic Sunflower Oil in lotions, creams, and lip balm, in my experience, it's not a good oil in soap formulas. If you have almond oil available, that would be a better choice. The one time I added Sunflower to ZNSC, the result was slimey soap. 😢

I experimented with some natural colorants in these 4 batches, like using indigo, turmeric, orange peel powder, moringa powder.
This is just me, but, as much as I like using natural colorants, any one of those might cause irritation to sensitive skin. It's best to leave out the colorant and fragrance at first. That way you will know whether the formula or the additive is causing the irritation.

HTH (Hope This Helps) and HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:

Thank you for the quick response. I did check it on soap calc and it’s cleaning value came out to be 20. And after a few post on this forum I have learned that cleaning value around 12-14 is sufficient for a gentle bar. So that means I have reduce coconut oil and increase some hard oils or animal fats. I am making animal fat free soap so lard and tallow are out of question. Then remains palm oil which is not very sustainably sourced so that is also goes out. Remaining are the cocoa butter which is very expensive in India, mango and kokum butter although expensive but not as much as cocoa. So I guess I have figure out a recipe with these.
Also a true check will be after I use my bars which is not until early March so let’s see how do I feel them.
I will check with your supplier and see what all do they offer. They may sell smaller package as it’s within India.
Welcome, @morningdew! You mentioned that soaps dry your skin and you are reducing your amount of coconut oil to a value of 12-14. Many people find even that level is drying. I aim for a value of 5-8 - and going down to zero is fine too. Soap with a very low “cleansing” value will still clean skin! It just won’t remove oils from skin (or from dishes etc 😁 which is why you’d want a very HIGH cleansing value for a dish soap, for example!)
Maybe try making a small sample batch with around 5% coconut oil, to see if that gives you what you want.

😃thank you.. Any comments on my recipe on how to improve it.
My apologies for my late response.

For the most part, recipes are a matter of personal and customer preference, and what is available in your area and are affordable. I find Coconut Oil to be a bit drying in soap so I use it at 20%, but I have a customer who is allergic to Cocoa and Shea Butters and so I use CO at 27% for her and she loves it.

I am including my recipe down below, even though I saw what you wrote about Palm Oil and Cocoa Butter. The PO I purchase is responsibly and sustainably produced; I pay a little more for it, but it's something that I support. Cocoa Butter isn't cheap here in the States either, but I get a good deal on Shea Butter and so it works out in the wash. And honestly it wouldn't matter if it didn't because I like what CB brings to the table and I'm about producing a quality bar of soap, and quality is not cheap.

I have been a 'maker' of things my entire life and yes, it's not cheap. Cooking, baking, sewing, embroidery and cross-stich, quilting, crocheting and knitting and now soap making. Part of it is the labor which has been reduced through industrialization and mechanization, part of it is the stuff it takes to make these things. When I first started making soap, I was buy in small quantities. A pound of Cocoa Butter Wafers is $12.00...if I buy 5lbs it's $9.60 lb, if I buy 26.5lbs it's $7.41lb. I've gone from paying $2.87oz for 2oz bottles for my FOs to $1.71oz for 16oz bottles. My next step is 5lb jugs which will bring my cost down to $1.56oz.

35% Olive Oil
20% Coconut Oil
20% Palm Oil
10% Cocoa Butter
10% Shea Butter
5% Castor Oil

33% Lye Concentration
5% Super Fat

1 tea Sodium Lactate PPO
1 tea Kaolin Clay PPO

Latest posts

Back