A new reptile friend

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's growing great, enough that he has more bug mail on the way lol.
That is the one thing that gets annoying. I really get tired of bug mail. I am going to eventually have to start my own fruit fly cultures and maybe Dubias. I really love Beardies. 💕💕💕

I have a new 4 month old Peacock coming in a week or so. After having to separate Houdini and Soudini I started searching for a new mate for one of them, which proved impossible. So I purchased an un-sexed juvie to the tune of $125+70 shipping. Of course, I have to wait to grow the little on out before I find out who I will be able to mate it with. I still need one more.

Last edited:
I used to raise dubia but I developed severe allergies, tried red runners but they don't do well for me. I might try breeding black soldier flies, its looks easy enough.

Good luck with your new baby, hopefully this one will be nicer.

Owww, didn't know there were other herp enthousiasts here!
I've got geckos, newts, frogs and a snake.

Welcome to your beardy!

Happy bubbles
Stéphanie

Welcome to your beardy!

Happy bubbles
Stéphanie

Oh yeah, besides the beardie I also have three snakes and a bunch of tarantulas.
I really want a couple tree frogs, will probably go with pacific tree frogs since they are native here and don't require tropical care

Welcome to your beardy!

Happy bubbles
Stéphanie
LOL, don't mind Obsidian she is weird, she likes eight-legged creatures. Just kidding Gail. What aspect of the Dubias caused you an allergy, do you know? I remember you raising them, you sent me some to feed somebody.

Fenchurch what type of Geckos do you have? I have P. quadriocellatas (peacocks) and Klemmeri. Next year I hope to get a breeding pair of Williamsi.

Haha, I am weird🤪
Its the frass that I'm allergic too, I have to wear a respiratory to even be in the same room as a large colony.
Last time I had a attack, nearly sent me to the hospital. Handling them will cause hives.
I haven't had dubia in forever, it was hissers I sent you for the cham.

Haha, I am weird🤪
Its the frass that I'm allergic too, I have to wear a respiratory to even be in the same room as a large colony.
Last time I had a attack, nearly sent me to the hospital. Handling them will cause hives.
I haven't had dubia in forever, it was hissers I sent you for the cham.
Well just shows what I know, I was thinking it was dubias. All I know was he gobbled them up. I think I will decide to not raise them, my gecks are not that crazy about them anyway. It is not worth the risk, so thank you for the info. No, you are not weird, we all like different creatures. How are the Mantids doing?

Roaches are one of the leading causes of severe allergies in the US and even if you aren't allergic at first, it can come on out of the blue.

I'm ok with red runners but I don't breed them, just keep a few dozen on hand for the tarantulas.
They have a longer life span, don't jump or make noise.

Mantids are ok, I've lost a few but thats to be expected. Found out they are chinese, not rhombodera. That was disappointing but at least I can release these outside

Roaches are one of the leading causes of severe allergies in the US and even if you aren't allergic at first, it can come on out of the blue.

I'm ok with red runners but I don't breed them, just keep a few dozen on hand for the tarantulas.
They have a longer life span, don't jump or make noise.

Mantids are ok, I've lost a few but thats to be expected. Found out they are chinese, not rhombodera. That was disappointing but at least I can release these outside
That is why the seller sent so many oothecas. I was a tad suspicious. They are great for the garden.

How are the corns doing, is your girls coming along well?

Corns are doing well, rose shed again and is getting pinker. I really need to do a photo shoot but its hard to wrangle them at this size.

Fern is still very shy, I only see him on feeding days. My daughters hognose it the most entertaining. He hates me with a passion and coils up like a rattlesnake, hisses and strikes when I just walk in the room.
Funny thing is he doesn't try to bite, the strikes are all a bluff, he is a drama queen extraordinaire

My daughters hognose it the most entertaining. He hates me with a passion and coils up like a rattlesnake, hisses and strikes when I just walk in the room.
Funny thing is he doesn't try to bite, the strikes are all a bluff, he is a drama queen extraordinaire
That is too funny. It must really be fun to watch him. It just makes you wonder what they are thinking. 🤪

He is hilarious, I'll have to try and get a video of the little monster.

Here is sam post shed, he is coming along nicely.

Attachments

• 20210430_092011.jpg
    20210430_092011.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210430_092002.jpg
    20210430_092002.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 6
Of course the sun went away as soon as I finished making a little outside basking cage. At least he got to be outside for a couple minutes to look around.

This is only to keep him safe when I'm with him, he will not be left unsupervised as there is no bottom on the cage

Attachments

• 20210501_144037.jpg
    20210501_144037.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210501_144012.jpg
    20210501_144012.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 10
Sam shed his tail today so I had a chance to get a full color body shot. Baby beardies grow so fast, there is usually at least one area of pale shed.
They are unusual as they don't shed all at once like a snake or gecko, they do it random splotchy areas.

I tried to get a picture of sam on my thumb to show his growth but he really doesn't like the phone and keeps running.

A bonus mantis pic. They are small and hard to photo.

Attachments

• 20210504_150144.jpg
    20210504_150144.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210504_150131.jpg
    20210504_150131.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210504_150116.jpg
    20210504_150116.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210504_150958.jpg
    20210504_150958.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 7
Looks like Sam might get in some since colors. He is definitely getting cuter. Good pic of the Mantis. Thank you for the pictures.
I have a new Peacock coming next week. Since I had to separate my pair I needed an unrelated male or female, it is only 4.5 months old so breeding until next year.

He is hilarious, I'll have to try and get a video of the little monster.

Here is sam post shed, he is coming along nicely.
I just found one of them on my front porch' his tail was short' I think they can regrow them' it was a large Fat Horned Lizard, one of largest I've seen. I gently picked it up and put it in our Oleanders that has low ground cover.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back