A new hobby

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've found a new hobby that actually is holding my interest, wire wrapping.

Maybe, just maybe I can eventually sell a few pieces, at least enought to help fund supplies.
These are my first proper pieces, the skinnier one was made for my daughter.

Attachments

• 20220327_121546.jpg
    20220327_121546.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 26
They are gorgeous! I like how the wire is ribbed or twisted in some areas to add movement.
Just for the sake of curiosity, do you need a set of tools? Or is it done with just the one tool?

They are gorgeous! I like how the wire is ribbed or twisted in some areas to add movement.
Just for the sake of curiosity, do you need a set of tools? Or is it done with just the one tool?

Thank you, the wire is twisted. Easy way to add some pizzazz with minimal talent lol.

For these simple designs, I'm using 3 tools. Precision needlenose, wirecutters and plastic jaw pliers.
I have other tools but never use them. I think curved needlenose would be really helpful. All the pliers need to be smooth, teeth will mark the wire.

As with soaping, be careful where you get your stones. I had a bunch that I picked up in a new age store in Philly. They had been sitting in my jewlery box for years. Somewhere I got the idea that putting one in a plant would bring it some good juju. So i put my "Blue Agate" in a dying plant in my bathroom last year. A couple of weeks ago I was repotting the plant in a last ditch effort to save it. The stone was apparently plastic or acrylic and degraded to mush in the dirt.

Those are beautiful pieces. Maybe one day I can send you my Amethyst for you to wrap it. I always wanted to try jewlery making...I had a friend at work that used to do it. She did nice lanyards and stuff that she sold at work, plus the stone wrapping. She wanted to have my amethyst cut because it was big...noooooo. Its too pretty lol. Its about 2 inches long with a point on the end. Which reminds me...I gotta find it.

Amethyst "wards off drunkeness". I guess I got a broken one LOL

Yeah, there are a lot of fake stones out there. I'm good at spotting them and try to buy from reputable sellers.
I'm learning to cut my own stones too, using a wet tile saw. They won't be domed and as perfect as purchased cabochons but they'll do.

I've not tried to wrap natural stones yet but I'd love to see a picture of your amethyst.

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback. As we know, we are our own worse critics.

Need to order cords, make a few more pieces and get the oxidization process down, then I'll be ready to try and sell locally.

I've found a new hobby that actually is holding my interest, wire wrapping.

Maybe, just maybe I can eventually sell a few pieces, at least enought to help fund supplies.
These are my first proper pieces, the skinnier one was made for my daughter.
Oh those are so pretty! You ought to check out opalite for stones you could use! They look like magic fairy stones and would look great with silver metal. :) I’d buy one!

This is a random listing for the stones, I am not affiliated with the seller. Just to show what they look like in case you hadn’t seen before:

www.etsy.com/listing/650384110

Latest posts

Back