A little too harsh

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look for a cleansing value BELOW the low end on the recommended level on lye calculators.
I personally find that any cleansing value above 11 or so is drying to my skin.
Your reaction to the soap may simply be that you are taking too much of the natural oils off.
If you raise the SF without lowering the cleansing value you will be leaving surface oils from the soap on skin stripped of it's natural oils. Still "dry feeling". If you lower the cleansing value and leave the SF alone you will not be stripping as much oil from the skin.
So would I leave super fat at 5%? Sorry I’m fairly new to soap making, and using soap calc to figure recipes, I usually just use recipes already made, so I’m learning slowly but surely how to figure my own recipes!

Yes.
I would leave the SF at 5% and change the blend of oils to lower the cleansing value.
Olive oil and rice bran are also drying oils to my old hide ( Your Mileage May Vary) . I *think* it's because both of those oils make a very dissolve-able soap that may not rinse off as well as others.
The next problem you will find is getting the "hardness" factor up on the soap so that it lasts longer without using too much CO.

I will just add a little to what Steve said, if you lower you cleansing number below 11-15 I would suggest lowering your superfat to around 3, it can be hard to rinse off if the cleansing number is to low and the superfat to high. With my old eczemaz prone skin I keep the cleansing number around 11-12 and superfat 2-3. Below 11% cleansing I use a 1-2% superfat depending on my recipe. One added issue is my drains cannot accept a lot of free oils going down them even if the soap emulsifies the fat. As my plumber told me a few years ago, it is still oil

I really like OO in soap any amount up to 100% and I find it very gentle on the skin. I use EVOO because it is pure and relatively cheap here.
Before you dismiss OO try using pure OO - unrefined and no additives and not pomace - and let it cure for 3 months (12 months for 100% OO).

Olive oil has been used in good quality soap for thousands of years for a good reason.

Use 5% SF or less and use salt to harden it.

Last edited:
This is my favorite recipe range for all times, and it is completely modifiable to your specific needs:

Lard (either alone or with the GV shortening below) 40-65%
GV shortening with animal and vegetable fats (tallow and palm) optional, but I like it 0-25%
Olive Oil 15-20%
Coconut Oil 10-20%
Castor Oil 5%
Superfat 5%
Sugar 14 g PPO (per pound of oil)

I would use straight lard to start (don't use the GV shortening at all). With the Olive Oil and Coconut Oil at 15% each. Then try the OO at 20%, then the CO at 10%, etc. Once you get the OO and CO sorted out to what you like, you can then try substituting some of the GV shortening for some of the lard, etc.
Sugar?

What what type of sugar is the most recommended to add to soap? granulated, icing sugar, coarse sugar, etc.

Thank you.

What what type of sugar is the most recommended to add to soap? granulated, icing sugar, coarse sugar, etc.

Thank you.
I've not noticed any difference other than the rate theh dissolve lol and I tend to grab whichever sugar is nearest haha. White, brown, coarse, fine.. Not tried icing sugar though.

Just make sure you dissolve the sugar in the water very well before you add your lye.

Thank you.

I use aloe for sugar. I believe powder/icing sugar has corn starch in it.

I have read about a soaper who always used powdered sugar in their soap, rather than the granulated. The minimal amount of cornstarch in powdered sugar (to prevent clumping) isn't anything to be concerned about in soap. I have also read that cornstarch has been used as a fragrance fixitive in soap, although I have not tried that myself. I keep meaning to try and use up some of the powdered sugar in my pantry by adding it to soap, but forget since I never use it for anything else either. It just takes up space in a remote drawer in my pantry for years, now. One of these days I should really get it out and give it a go in soap.

Latest posts

Back