A Little Dissapointed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the split depends on your area, we have a handmade gift store that has incredible items. I was really put off the split was 50/50 and you first had to pay $25 to register a one page information sheet, basically contact information.
I couldn't make those numbers work for me, and she actually said " I see you can cut your size and quality, people come in here looking to buy handmade". While I am sure this is true I never put anything in her shop.

She really suggested you cut your quality??? Wow, i would have walked out on that personally because I find it offensive to think someone would suggest that I should sell customers products that I wouldn't be completely proud of to have my name on...

When you walk into her gift store it is clear she knows what she is doing, the store is very inviting, and items are displayed to their full advantage. I am just put off by her attitude, and lack of respect for the work that goes into making handmade products.
I came very close to saying something I would have regretted when she suggested that I could have 55% if I would work a few hours a couple of times a week. Well I already put alot of work into making the product (not to mention the cost of my materials). I am not completely stupid so no, I do not want to work for you too!, and I wouldn't even benefit until something sold, ugh!!! Some people just have no shame when it comes to taking advantage of others.

If she is not responsible for your stuff she could 'short' you. Also, I've never heard of a 15% fee for pulling your products out....

Some owners just want everything their way!

All I can say, is to keep a tally of your products..including pictures while being displayed in the shop..even tho the contract says she isn't responsible if items are stolen, she can still be to a point. If your items keep coming up short you can legally pull out of the 'deal' since most 'legal' contracts are viewed as having some sense of protection..its in 'her' shop, she is responsible for making sure any items that reside there, hers or yours, are protected to the best of her ability as a shop owner.

Not all contracts are upheld in court if the contract is shady to begin with. {and the stips in that contract send up red flags all over the place with me}

Was this contract notarized by any chance?

Regardless, if you make it to the 60 day holding period, I'd personally pull my products and offer a wholesale deal, but with 'you' calling the shots, not her. If she doesn't like your terms, then take your products elsewhere.

I know you say you are fast becoming friends, but tread carefully since money is involved..she's a business owner first and will protect her company and profits

I know you say you are fast becoming friends, but tread carefully since money is involved..she's a business owner first and will protect her company and profits

I have to agree here - and this was a hard lesson learned for myself. I had another small business approach me about soaps for some baskets they give their clients and after spending some time talking back and forth, it came out that the owner assumed that because we were friends that I was going to make the soaps for free, and they felt like they were offering me "free" marketing. Keep business strictly business and be careful not to blur the lines.

Yes, you both make very good points and I'm being wary. I've been going by regularly to check my stock and so far many things have sold and all stock is accounted for so far so I'm happy. And I made them a custom soap just for the shop that she's paying me for up front so isn't part of the consignment deal. She actually brought up the fact of going wholesale the other day when I checked in but again stated that the biz is new and she's still getting everything situated. But at least there's interest. I'm trying to be cautious.

Latest posts

Back