A Hot Mess

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne.reynolds922

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I have a cold so I'm blaming it all on that!
Yesterday I tried to make soap in a slab mold for the first time. It did not go well.
My plan was to attempt to make something that looked like a sunflower. I mixed 4 colors.
Black, and 3 shades of yellow/orange. I wanted it to be very fluid so Inwaited for my lye solution and oils to be around 85°.
I only used my stick blender until I reached emulsion. Then separated into my 4 containers that had my pre-dissolved mica. Gently mixed the colors in and all was going great...
Then I added the fragrance oil. (A fragrance Oil I have used before) I started my pour with the black in the bottom of the mold. As I was pouring, it seized up! I scrambled to get it spread out then moved on to the other colors that were all still very fluid. It was a no go as I poured it was just not going to work. I had a very thick soap mess. My first thought was just to dump it in the crockpot and let it cook. I got my 3 yellow/orange colors dumped in then added the black and thought this is going to look disgusting why not just put it into my molds. (Remember the cold I wasn't thinking clearly) So now I'm scooping out hot thick soap batter trying to separate most of the black out so I can at least salvage some of it.
So I packed it into the molds. I cut it this morning and this is what I got.
20220305_085816.jpg
20220305_085712.jpg
20220305_085543.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a newbie. I think your soap is beautiful. So I made my first attempt making 2 hot process soaps, with 2 different recipes. Very pleased with my first batch, second one is still soft. I know I probably shouldn’t post a picture of the soap I made, but it’s all about me being a newbie at this stage. My next soaping experience, I want to try cp soap. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• 5C859EE7-082D-4982-98F3-CCA8A9BE825D.jpeg
    5C859EE7-082D-4982-98F3-CCA8A9BE825D.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 7
I am a newbie. I think your soap is beautiful. So I made my first attempt making 2 hot process soaps, with 2 different recipes. Very pleased with my first batch, second one is still soft. I know I probably shouldn’t post a picture of the soap I made, but it’s all about me being a newbie at this stage. My next soaping experience, I want to try cp soap. Wish me luck!
Your soaps are beautiful! I started with CP and then switched over to hot process. I actually prefer it over CP.
Good luck with your next batch!

Soap making will never be the same everytime. No matter how many times we use the same recipe, there is always something new. I use soap that is 10 years old that I throw out into the garage because I thought it not good.....wrong- as soap ages, it's like fine wine. Take a bar or two, put away for a couple of years and see what will happen.

Back