A Hello and Thank You

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowieRoll

Reaction score
Greetings, All,

As a lurker for many months on SMF, I wanted to step forth to introduce myself and give thanks to all the many dedicated people who tirelessly provide invaluable information on the wonders of soapmaking.

As a new soaper (4 months/23 batches, both HP & CP), there have been many ups and downs, moments of panic, moments of denial, moments of outward swearing, and even a few moments of triumph. It's been quite the ride so far.

I do not sell (clearly!), but have tentatively begun handing samples out to friends and family with implicit instructions to discontinue use if their skin turns funny colors and falls off. So far no reports of that, phew.

My husband is amused by and supportive of this new hobby, and patiently listens to my very detailed explanations of such and such. However, he must not listen very well because with my last batch 3 days ago, and with my back turned, he stuck his finger onto the top of a freshly poured soap, sheepishly declaring "it is still soft." He then got yet another detailed explanation on why we don't do that, ending with "your finger might now shrivel off your hand.". I think it stuck this time.

At any rate, hello to all and again, thank you so much for all of the wisdom confined into this forum. I have not only gleaned a lot of information, but have also been strangely comforted many times by total strangers here who have experienced similar things on this slippery, soapy road.

-Angela

What is up with these guys? And where it the ROLF smiley when you need it? :rolleyes: :lolno:

Nice to meet you HowieRoll. My husband pays better attention, I am happy to say, but I can just picture this.

Dixiedragon, was it a soap that looked like food? I hope he didn't chew on it or swallow it!

Hi Angela! What a nice introduction! Most of us are in fact strangers to one another, but it sure doesn't feel like it, does it?

What is up with these guys? And where it the ROLF smiley when you need it? :rolleyes: :lolno:

Nice to meet you HowieRoll. My husband pays better attention, I am happy to say, but I can just picture this.

Dixiedragon, was it a soap that looked like food? I hope he didn't chew on it or swallow it!

They kind of did - coffee soap.

Dad: Oooh, what did you bake?
Me: It's soap don't eat it!
Dad: yup. That's soap.

IMG_2068.JPG

Welcome Angela, you've found a new soapy family here. I trained my husband with multiple skull and cross bone pictures; signs that read "death" to get the message across. It worked with some persistence.

They kind of did - coffee soap.

Dad: Oooh, what did you bake?
Me: It's soap don't eat it!
Dad: yup. That's soap.

Your poor dad . . . guess he thought you made him some special fudgy treats! I'm dying to know if this was the first time he ate soap and if you think the accidental tasting will discourage it from happening again ;)

And welcome to Angela, at least your hubby was nice enough not to eat your soap!

Someone took a bite out of one of my soaps too - I'd labelled it "goats milk, rosemary & mint" and gave a piece to a friend, to try. Her dad thought it was tablet, which is like a sweet that comes in a block, you have to break bits off. He wasn't impressed with the "tablet", she wasn't impressed that her lovely soap had a bite mark out of it!

Steve85569, yes, I've found soaping to be VERY addictive! My husband really gets a kick out of it, and has patiently waited while I scour multiple stores sourcing ingredients, but he apparently cannot resist something shiny that looks a little like frosting. From a few of the responses here, I suppose I should be thankful he didn't lick it, too. :)

Thanks, everyone!

Steve85569, yes, I've found soaping to be VERY addictive! My husband really gets a kick out of it, and has patiently waited while I scour multiple stores sourcing ingredients, but he apparently cannot resist something shiny that looks a little like frosting. From a few of the responses here, I suppose I should be thankful he didn't lick it, too. :)

Thanks, everyone!

Sounds like you might even be able to get him to zap test your soap for you!:sick:

Back