A heads up, and a question for all of our soap gurus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumbleklutz

Reaction score
For those of us that use tetrasodium edta in our soaps, soapgoods.com is having a clearance sale on their tetrasodium edta.

Link: https://www.soapgoods.com/EDTA-Tetrasodium-EDTA-Clearance-p-1754.html

Anyway, it's a really low price for edta; at least lower than I've seen elsewhere.

Mine arrived today, nicely packaged in half pound plastic jars, and shipping was lightning fast. So if anyone is looking to stock up this might be a good opportunity.

Now for a question to those better versed in science than myself: Does tetrasodium edta in its powdered form go bad, or expire as long as its kept in a cool dry environment? I've looked on the jars, and can't find an expiration or "best by" date. A bit of digging around on the web didn't yield any answers either.

Sigma Aldrich says "...Store the product at room temperature. Representative lots have remained within specifications for at least three years...." So the effective life is at least 3 years and probably longer.

EDTA kept dry has an indefinite shelf life. I'd not worry too much, it's not something that molds eat. It will not deteriorate by oxidation, either.

Peter

Looks like a fantastic price for the EDTA but then I estimated shipping and eek! ~$8-$9 depending on how much and I don't want a whole lot. Is that still a good price? Pretty impressed by prices and selection overall. Considering getting RBO and ROE from them too but not sure if it's worth it when really all I wanted (for now) was the EDTA.. Yay or nay?

That's a great price and your shipping is much lower than it would be for me. To my it would be $18.50. But I have enough EDTA to last me quite a long time already. I bought 4 pounds last year and the total cost with shipping was actually just about $6 less than if were to order 8 pounds from this vendor. Based on your shipping option, it sounds like you must be closer to them than I am.

Back