A graphic reminder of the dangers of lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
Just came across this post on a Facebook soap group and thought I'd share.

I know most of us respect the dangers related to lye and the importance of PPE but there are always the small minority that think it won't happen to them - I bet this guy didn't until it did.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/152160381467079?view=permalink&id=1113351618681279

I don't know if you can view without being in the group so here's the post

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1433332682.105853.jpg

Thanks for posting this reminder. I am always a little nervous when making cp soap. Even when I make sure to wear the appropriate clothing, goggles and gloves I always remind myself what could happen.

Scary, and a good reminder to mix your lye in something that's not tippy. Short and squat is better. I use a sauce pan, and always have the handle pointed towards the back. Handling lye as often as we do, it's easy to become complacent, until you see a pic like that.

Wow, certainly a reminder for all. I too treat my lye mixture with respect. I mix in the sink and handle carefully when pouring. It's certainly a tragedy that could happen to anyone.

More gloves on the shopping list!

ETA: I was teach a friend how to make soap. Before we even get started I always instruct newbies on the dangers of lye. Using the phrase "it will burn your face off". Some of the lye crystals spilled on the counter. I am getting a paper towel to mop it up and she SCOOPS UP THE LYE CRYSTALS WITH HER FINGERNAIL. I freak out, forcibly drag her to the sink and make her hold that hand under running water for about 10 minutes. I cannot IMAGINE what a lye crystal under the fingernail could do!

What kind of gloves does everyone use? I prefer to not use disposable. The kitchen style gloves work fine at first but then they stretch out and they can be hard to get on/off when your hands get sweaty on a hot day. I'm also wondering if the lye would just burn right through in the event of a big spill?

That is really scary. This pic is a good reminder of why there was a reason I was scared to use lye for a long time, and why it pays to continue to be respectful and cautious around it always. It just takes a second of forgetfulness/absent-mindedness/clumsiness, and I have *lots* of those seconds.

ETA: I use the nitrile gloves, $20 for 2 boxes (400 total) at costco. They hold up in a big spill, at least for long enough to clean it up. I throw them away after each use. Oops, missnamed the glove stuff, correcting.

Last edited:
I use a combination of nitrile and regular kitchen gloves. I like using the nitrile ones for delicate soaping (making CP + HP, pouring layers, ect) and I use heavy duty latex kitchen gloves that have a safety cuff (Cuff that folds over to catch drips) when master batching my lye and cleaning up. It keeps me from going through tons of nitrile gloves which can get expensive.

Last edited:
I like regular dish washing gloves. I like the fact that they cover the wrist. I after I am done wash my hands, gloves still on, so they are free of lye and soap.

I got some of the "fashion" dishwashing gloves - basically a dishwashing glove with a floral cuff. The cuff added extra length, but the weight of the cuff made it sag around my wrists, so I don't use them.

Another good idea is to wear something like an apron, a non absorbent extra layer that you can whip off really quickly if you spill lye water onto yourself. It could quickly soak into clothing and reach your skin otherwise.

When I was used to be on Facebook, in one of my soaping groups, there was a well known soaper who didn't wear her goggles and raw batter splashed into her eye. Luckily it didn't do permanent damage, but she was rushed to the ER and had to have her eyeball flushed for almost an hour. Then in the same group, another soaper knocked over her lye and it went all down her clothes, burning her stomach and private areas. She was also rushed to the ER with more substantial injuries to herself. Luckily she is better now, but it's just another reminder of how we can get too comfortable, confident and too careless with lye. I know of several soapers who admitted to never wearing gloves, goggles, and some don't wear shoes. I'm not bashing as that's their choice. But me personally, I wear all of my PPE every time. I'm just too paranoid of things like that photo happening to me.

Thanks for posting this picture. My children, while no longer little tease me about my lye concerns. They mock my "respect the lye" mantra. Having this photo to show them that this is no joke I truly appreciate. Hopefully, this will drive home graphically, my reason to Respect The Lye!! I too use nitrile gloves. Have been searching for a lab apron that's not too cumbersome. Does anyone have one they recommend?

I use nitrile gloves as well. I get mine at auto part stores for about $10 for a box of...100 pairs I think? I usually get the black ones just because. So much easier to just pull them off and throw them away than to have to worry about washing them and making sure to get all of the batter off

Thanks for posting this. It's really easy to get too comfortable with using lye. It's a great reminder that accidents do happen, and the stakes are high!

Latest posts

Back