A Good Soap Recipe...Not

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Tallow 2.5, Lard 2.5, Coconut 92, 1. Melt oils in crock pot, add dry lye 1.11 oz to oils mix until light trace add color, add fragrance, mix to heavy trace, pour into raisin box molds. Wrap up in an old coat, let sit for 2-3 days, unwrap, consistency is doughy and speckled. Lick test no zap (sour and salty). Small soaps under 1 oz (small raisin boxes) are perfectly perfect and rock hard, all soaps over that size such as loafs are speckled and troubled with cracked dough surfacing, soft surface that rises over time, but behaves when heated with hands or hair dryer and settles back...."

Like the rest of y'all I would never make this soap but I have to admit as prose this recipe almost has a literary quality. The specificity of "raisin" box molds and that one should wrap them not in towels but very pointedly an "old coat" just made me smile. And these boxes are "perfectly perfect"!

This is the soap that one of Faulkner's crazy relatives would have made. ;-)

There is an over abundance of uninformed new people making soap and when Im scanning these FB groups I cringe. I was on a rant about this last month on a different post. They make one recipe and they start a business. There is so much wrong information on those groups that it saddens me. I'm concerned that it gives handcrafted soap a bad rap and that people will judge all handmade soap on the not so good ones that seem to be flooding the market with more than ridiculous claims.

IMO the person that posted that recipe was serious about it based upon all that I've seen.

There are so many that are planning their first batch to be for sale. I saw one today that was a first cp batch that she plans to sell, even though it didn't turn out great. Ugh. I get the excitement and I also get not being discouraging to new soapers. However I can't understand how anyone could want to sell something they know is subpar.

I suggested that the posting should be taken down as it was potentially a dangerous recipe and some newbie might try it. Chances are she was not using 80-85% pure NaOH. I just went back to see if she posted any other answers and the post was gone, so I suspect the admin of the fb page deleted it. Good, might have saved someone from a nasty soap

I'm glad to hear that, Carolyn. I think it was appropriate to take the post down in the interest of safety.

I am as new as new can get in soap making and I can see the error in the recipe!! I am glad that I am not a part of any FB soaping pages looking at the comments.

Latest posts

Back