A Few Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don`t know what to say! These soaps are just sublime @dibbles :winner:

The colors are clear and poppin`, the woodgrain is beyond compare, and the beach type soap looks like is has real shells on it, and swirls are crisp and clear on all. The photographic set up is flawless.

This whole thing is masterly done.

Same. I typed in woodgrain and this thread popped up. Maybe I won't try it now because that pic is seriously intimidating.
You could do it, and I would love to see your attempt. Fluid batter, layer colors any way you like into a pitcher and pour back and forth along the wall of a standard or tall and skinny loaf mold. It’s a fun technique!

Maybe if @dibbles wants to post a tutorial, I'll try it. I've never used mica, so my first go at it would be very interesting. I've considered a first attempt using cocoa powder and charcoal in varying concentrations. I could probably use up some paprika infused olive oil, too. What scent, though?

Maybe if @dibbles wants to post a tutorial, I'll try it. I've never used mica, so my first go at it would be very interesting. I've considered a first attempt using cocoa powder and charcoal in varying concentrations. I could probably use up some paprika infused olive oil, too. What scent, though?
Really? Never no mica? So what I love about mica is that I can just dump it in, like with cocoa powder and charcoal. I also just dump in paprika.
Do you use essential oils? I'm thinking cedarwood and fir needle and patchouli and oakmoss and frankincense and myrrh.
And dear @dibbles , couldja back off a bit?! So. much. pressure!
And what a cool fantasy to get us all in the same room doing tutorials for each other!

Really? Never no mica? So what I love about mica is that I can just dump it in, like with cocoa powder and charcoal. I also just dump in paprika.
Do you use essential oils? I'm thinking cedarwood and fir needle and patchouli and oakmoss and frankincense and myrrh.
And dear @dibbles , couldja back off a bit?! So. much. pressure!
And what a cool fantasy to get us all in the same room doing tutorials for each other!
Nope, never a mica so far. There are just SO many color choices that I get overwhelmed and then I abandon ship!
I'm dabbling in EOs and FOs but haven't decided which I'll continue with. I'm waiting to see how long the scent remains in the scented soaps I've made thus far, before making a serious dent in my soapy funds.

Nope, never a mica so far. There are just SO many color choices that I get overwhelmed and then I abandon ship!
I'm dabbling in EOs and FOs but haven't decided which I'll continue with. I'm waiting to see how long the scent remains in the scented soaps I've made thus far, before making a serious dent in my soapy funds.
Yeah, there's that whole financial thing. Just a hobbyist here. I'm still working with sample packs of mica from Bramble Berry and have liked that they are what you see is what you get -- except for one yellow. I also took advantage of sample essential oils and then invested in larger bottles of proven winners.

Yeah, there's that whole financial thing. Just a hobbyist here. I'm still working with sample packs of mica from Bramble Berry and have liked that they are what you see is what you get -- except for one yellow. I also took advantage of sample essential oils and then invested in larger bottles of proven winners.
Yes, your spring clean blend is on my list of "must try". Honestly, I'm still trying to perfect a recipe that can truly be deemed my favorite 'go to' recipe. I'm just not there, yet. It is maddening trying to find a recipe that the majority of people will like. My skin likes ZNSB best, so far, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Honestly, I'm still trying to perfect a recipe that can truly be deemed my favorite 'go to' recipe. I'm just not there, yet. It is maddening trying to find a recipe that the majority of people will like.
I’m not sure that’s realistic. No single recipe will please everyone. My really dear friend adores ZNSB with goat milk, whereas my vegan friend wants it with coconut milk. My husband loves my high-lard neem bars; I love high-lard without neem and with goat milk. My other friend’s husband regularly orders the high-lard bar without GM or neem, but with charcoal for his “bacne.”

The good news is that really amounts to only two basic recipes - with tweaks for different folks. It doesn’t require lots of different ingredients, labels, or masterbatches to make lots of variations of those two recipes, which have become my staples. I do make other recipes sometimes, but not that often any more. Now I’m mostly playing with additives, colors, designs, and scents. :)

I’m not sure that’s realistic. No single recipe will please everyone. My really dear friend adores ZNSB with goat milk, whereas my vegan friend wants it with coconut milk. My husband loves my high-lard neem bars; I love high-lard without neem and with goat milk. My other friend’s husband regularly orders the high-lard bar without GM or neem, but with charcoal for his “bacne.”

The good news is that really amounts to only two basic recipes - with tweaks for different folks. It doesn’t require lots of different ingredients, labels, or masterbatches to make lots of variations of those two recipes, which have become my staples. I do make other recipes sometimes, but not that often any more. Now I’m mostly playing with additives, colors, designs, and scents. :)
Only 2 (or 3) basic recipes that I can play with and customize... this is what I'm aiming for.

Latest posts

Back