A few Questions.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luebella

Reaction score
First, what are these spots? I just noticed them. They look kind of grayish.

Also can I shrink wrap soaps around 2 weeks? Will they still cure? Thanks!

1450580609571.jpg

The spots look like air bubbles to me. I don't shrink wrap, so I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't think you would do it until the bars are fully cured. I would think that the plastic would prevent evaporation.

I shrink wrap mine only before I gift them. I have found that a few I have wrapped before hand that the soap can still shrink a little and the wrap gets loose and needs to be hit with the heat gun again

I just got a shrinkwrap system and asked this very question to the owner. He told me you can shrink wrap as soon as 2 weeks depending upon what material is used for wrapping. PVC? NO Polyolefin? Yes

The spots might be air bubbles, but they could also be stearic spots. Pic isn't too clear, so I can't decide. Stearic spots are small bits of slightly harder soap that pop up on the surface of the soap if you cut it with a wire. If you cut with a knife or use a planer to clean up the surface, the spots get sliced off by the blade, but a wire cutter slides around them. Cosmetic issue.

I just got a shrinkwrap system and asked this very question to the owner. He told me you can shrink wrap as soon as 2 weeks depending upon what material is used for wrapping. PVC? NO Polyolefin? Yes

Does the owner make soap? If so, did he demonstrate soaps wrapped at various ages?

Sorry for the delay Susie,
Yes the owner demonstrates on a video. While he doesn't make soap, many of his customers make soap. He is quite knowledgable of various needs. IF you youtube national shrinkwrap system, you'll see various reviews etc.. Its a great system. Im shrinkwrapping everything from food to soap, to baskets etc..
ETA, I use 60 guage polyolefin. While it can be wrapped as soon as 2 weeks, I typically don't until full cure. This wrap allows for moisture loss which is why you can wrap so soon. IF you speak with him, he will ask if you do M&P, soap with goats milk etc to allow you to use the material that would work best for your needs. I was also given multiple samples of other materials to try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back