A few questions before I begin my 1ST ever batch!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsMVP

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm ready to begin my first ever batch of solid soap.

I have some questions though. I hope they're fairly simple. I bought some olive oil at wal-mart, and it turns out it's actually a blend of olive and canola oils. How do I put that into the calculator? I don't want to have to wait to make this soap, yet again. lol.

Also, I have vegetable oil, that's all that's on the bottle, so what do I put that in as, as no soap calculator that I have found, has vegetable oil as a selection?

This sound like rapeseed and olive oil blend
Personally this would work.. I would just make a small 1b batch and test it.

I use stop and shop Mediterranean blend in my soap and have no problems i just clik olive oil :)

here an easy one

coconut oil 30 percent
olive oil 70

to the lye water add 1 tbs of sugar per pound for bubbles
to the lye water add 1 tbs of salt per pound for hardness

once lye is clear add to the oils.

mix till trace and pour you mold..

Last edited:
Thank you for that recipe. I can't use those though, as I don't have enough coconut oil, and the olive oil that I have is a blend of olive and canola. That's how it is when I bought it, though I didn't notice it at the time. :(

If the bottle doesn't say what percentage the oils are, perhaps you can call the manufacturer to find out? For soaping it's very important to know the exact oils in there, or you can't calculate the SAP value. If you do find out that the oil is say, 70% canola and 30% olive oil, then you can do a bit of math to make it work in soap calc.

Same for the vegetable oil, if you can't get the manufacturer to tell you, I don't think you can make a decent soap without knowing.

FYI there are some oils that can be problematic in soaps, canola is one I believe, and other oils like soy and corn. SoapQueen has a good list of how different oils affect soaps.

Edit to add, here is the page from soap queen I was thinking of, and she likes canola. There's no advice on recommended percentages on this page though. http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b...s-guide-to-soapmaking-common-soapmaking-oils/

Last edited:
if you not willing to risk it. IT IS ALWAYS BEST TO WAIT .
If i remember canola and soy can lead to DOS ..
you are new stay with pure olive oil and coconut. lard or tallow make a good bar. for now

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Value vegetable oil from Walmart is soybean oil. Says so right on the back label right below the nutritional information. You need to learn to read ingredient labels before buying random oils.

I'm afraid I agree w/the above, unless you can get the exact %'s of each and do the math in order to put it into a soap calc., it is really not a good idea to go forward. Sometimes oils are close enough in SAP values that you can kind of wing it by fiddling w/the SF, but I don't think olive and canola fall into that category, and you don't know *what* the oils are in the other mix. Don't feel bad, we probably all bought oils we couldn't/didn't end up using when we started. You just glare at them balefully for several months, then put them in a closet, and then throw them away. Or deep fry a lot :)

Last edited:
First let me say that the others are correct in wanting to get the correct values. However if it were me I would look at it this way; sap value of canola oil is about 173. Sap value of olive oil is an average of 190. Average those two and you get approximately 182 which is what I would use, and I would superfat at least 5% probably closer to 7.

The reason is that all SAP values are averages. There is no hard and fast value, but you want to be sure that your soap is safe. Using the above I believe the soap would be safe, and if it were lye heavy it would not be so lye heavy that a good cure wouldn't fix it.

However this is a quick fix, or rather not the correct way to go about it. So if you can not wait you could try this,but if you can wait it is better to get the proper percentages.

...mod edit...

Goodbye posts are against the forum terms of use, so this has been edited to reflect that

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I know who the rude, snotty one is and it's not Susie. Don't come here asking for advice and when you get it decide you don't like it. Keep on walking ......

Uhm, I thought from your post that you had got it at WallMart as well. Telling people to check labels on their ingredients for soap making isn't rude, its a simple necessity. I'm sorry that you didn't like the way it was said, but hey its FREE advice from very knowledgable people.

Thanks for the incredibly unhelpful, snotty advice. I can read just fine. You should perhaps learn to read posts before spouting off snarky useless insults. #1 I didn't buy the vegetable oil at Wal-Mart. I bought the olive oil there. #2 I didn't realize before today that the type of oil made a difference. #3 I came to this forum for help before I started and made a mistake. Thanks to your incredible ignorance and rudeness, I won't be coming back. Soap making was supposed to be fun, not a way for an unhappy crank to act superior and make me feel like an idiot. Good luck with your soap making. Obviously you don't need it, what with being so perfect at reading labels and knowing every single detail there is to know about it.

Thanks for the incredibly unhelpful, snotty advice. I can read just fine. You should perhaps learn to read posts before spouting off snarky useless insults. #1 I didn't buy the vegetable oil at Wal-Mart. I bought the olive oil there. #2 I didn't realize before today that the type of oil made a difference. #3 I came to this forum for help before I started and made a mistake. Thanks to your incredible ignorance and rudeness, I won't be coming back. Soap making was supposed to be fun, not a way for an unhappy crank to act superior and make me feel like an idiot. Good luck with your soap making. Obviously you don't need it, what with being so perfect at reading labels and knowing every single detail there is to know about it.

If your skin is so thin that you think she was trying to act superior to you, or was trying to do anything other than help you then you are probably right to leave - not only this forum but probably all of the internet.

No, I'm not being snarky - I am being sarcastic. You see it is very difficult to tell how a person is behaving when you can not read their expression and only have words to go on.

Read this sentence out loud with the emphasis on the bolded word, you will see what I mean:

I didn't steal his car. (Wasn't me it was that other guy)
I didn't steal his car. (Absolutely not)
I didn't steal his car. (Didn't steal it, just borrowed it)
I didn't steal his car. (I stole hers not his)
I didn't steal his car. (Took his bike not his car)

You could not tell any of these things through text, only when speaking unless someone spells it out for you.

No one here is trying to be mean, but we don't walk on eggshells either, we just blurt it out. Newer people always seem to think people have it in for them, but really if you stick around you'll see we are all pretty nice, and you will not find a group more willing to help, and even tell you the truth- even if you don't want to hear it.

I hope you stick around. If you do, welcome to the forum :grin:

Last edited:
I'm really confused as to why this thread upset that person? I don't think anyone was rude at any point!?!?!? Normally I can see how someone might have taken something in the wrong way etc. but this time I literally have no clue.

#2 I didn't realize before today that the type of oil made a difference.

Which means you should have come here first or done more research. Susie wasn't being rude, she was being straight up...which is how the rest of us are. We dont sugarcoat, and to those with extremely thin skin, they may see us as rude, but that's not the case. These are the nicest most helpful people in any soaping community I have ever found.

I guarantee you can't find a better place on the net than right here. Grow a thicker skin, get that chip off your shoulder, and get ready to learn.

Wow, seems like 99% percent of the people here are a-holes. Never mind, I found a better, more helpful forum with people who actually show respect to newbies. Yeah, I'm a newbie. I've been researching soap making for a few months now, trying to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong. Not one recipe that I have ever come across, said that the oil type made a difference. Some called for certain oils, etc, but they all made it seem like you could add your own. In any case, I'm replying to a private forum message, and deleting my account. Good luck with your virtual friends.

To the one that said she couldn't see where I took what I took, wrong:

Susie advised I learn to read which was in itself insulting. She was insinuating, or so it seemed, that I was an idiot. Of course I had no idea what I was doing. That's why I came here. It's nice to see that most of you have a huge chip on your shoulders, and then accuse me of having one. Had someone said the same to you, you wouldn't have liked it either. Her advise was neither helpful, nor needed.

I don't need to prove my point to a bunch of people who are up each others butts. I'm a nice person, unless you hurt my feelings. I didn't come on here to grow a thicker skin. I came on here to make soap. Enough said.

The most cursory research through this forum would have left no doubt in your mind that you must use certain oils to achieve certain results. If you did, indeed, read the beginner's forum stickies and recent threads, and missed that fact, then I am not sure any of us can help you avoid soap making failures.

I did not advise you learn to read. I advised you learn to read labels to avoid buying random oils. There is a difference.

Frankly, the fact that you resorted to name calling says way more about you than us.

yes i too am confused what happened here?

Okay it seem to be an emotional week here on the forum :(
YOu know how we women can be a tad bit emo on a topic :) we all have been there ?

I'm really confused as to why this thread upset that person? I don't think anyone was rude at any point!?!?!? Normally I can see how someone might have taken something in the wrong way etc. but this time I literally have no clue.

We were all new here once

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to Soaping, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to soaping once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every decision is the correct one. How many of us at some point have bought something for a our new hobby simply because we thought it was the right oil or fragrance, etc.

I doubt that anyone here is perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to our craft, even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game.

Just my thoughts,
Roy

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-were-all-new-here-once?highlight=new+members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back