A few questions about M&P

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikolaus

Reaction score
I'm using the hot process style to make soap. The color always turns out a dull yellow. I did some research on the M&P and it seems like it is very easy to turn the blocks back to liquid form.

My question is... could i melt my already made bars of soap from the hot process. than use those for M&P?

I really need to start making a better looking soap.

Thanks

Melt & Pour soap uses glycerin, some kind of alcohol and sorbitol or sugar solution as part of the ingredients. This gives it clarity and makes it meltable. Regular hot process soap will not remelt like M&P. You can reprocess it by shredding it and adding liquid then heating, but it will never be clear or fluid like M&P.

What do you mean by artsy? Also, your soap could be turning yellow because of oils. What oils are you using?

oconut oil – 14.6 oz. – 30%
olive oil – 13.7 oz. – 28%
lard – 11.7 oz. – 24%
almond oil – 3.9 oz. – 8%
castor oil – 2.4 oz. – 5%
cocoa butter – 2.4 oz. – 5%
6.8 oz. lye – 6% lye discount
17 oz. water – (no water discount)
2 oz. of fragrance or essential oil
I also added the following optional in

Is it extra virgin olive? Several people have mentioned this oil causes the batch to be yellow but it eventually fades during curing. Other than that, I don't know what caused the yellowing unless it's from the fragrance you used. Some FOs cause discoloration.

Are you using refined cocoa butter or natural cocoa butter, that and EVOO can color soap. Check out Soaping101 on Youtube for ideas in swirling etc.

Back